• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I can't choose!

ThatsMySimi

Young Bun
Mom told me last night I could get another bun from one of her friends (this friend used to show and breed buns with mom). Said friend has 2 buns she would give away. One is a nutered male who is just a mix breed, the other is a un-nutered male Jersey Wooly. I would REALLY REALLY REALLY like to have the Jersey Wooly, but, My lionhead Simi isnt spayed. So, if I got an un-nutered male, I wouldnt be able to bond them. But, if I got the mix breed male, I could bond them. I dont know.

Heres another question for all you Breeders. Is the size difference between a lion head and a Jersey Wooly too big to breed a Jersey Wooly male to a Lion Heas female? I haven't decided I want to breed Simi - ever. But with a male in the house it may be an option. *But please remember, I haven't said I want to breed, and I know the problems that could come up... I know all about that, my mother used to breed rabbits.*

Thanks for reading, and I am loving this forum so far :)

Could you not just get the unneutered male and have him neutered?
To be honest there are enough animals in rescues etc to leave the breeding to a few responsible people who are breeding to improve the overall health of the species. It would benefit Simi health and behaviour-wise to have her spayed :)

The thing is, I am a just a student who babysits one child every once in a while. Mom and Dad are offering to pay vet bills such as if Simi gets sick or something, but for the spaying and nutering, I have to pay. So, I can't really afford to spay Simi and nuter the male...

I am thinking I will just go have a look tonight and see which I like better, take them both out and see which gets along best with me.

Thanks for the help... If I wasnt so poor I'd get the un-nutered male for sure and have Simi spayed... But Im poor.:?

Well, without sounding harsh (as i know you have said you're not planning to breed but it's a possibility) unless your financial status changes within the time before your rabbits are too old to breed, that will be out of the question anyway :) . In order to breed any animal (rabbits are no exception) you need the financial resources to do so - and that's without going into the politics of whether it is right or not for you to breed ;)

As for which to get, neutering is recommended overall, could you not put some money aside each week or whatever until you have enough to get a neuter done?

The only possible combination for you really (without having to pay for any neuters/spays) is to get the mix breed male and bond him with your female. There is no guarantee they will get along though, as your Simi is not spayed and females can be just as (if not more) dominant than male rabbits!

Also, one last thing...have you heard about the risks of uterine cancer in unspayed does? It's strongly recommended that they are spayed which eliminates the possibility of her obtaining this!

Most females are more dominant than males, regardless if the male is neutered or not. I've seen that with my own eyes almost every time we try to breed rabbits at school.:roll:
One problem I thought might occur if you try to bond them is that the female could get fake pregnancies. Mine got that without even being with the male, only living next to him (in that case he wasn't neutered, and still isn't, but I've heard it can happen with a neutered male as well).
Fake pregnant rabbits could get aggresive which in turn affects the boy.

I'm a student and I don't even have a job, yet I was somehow able to take out some money of my own bank-accuount (which I rarely use as if I did I'd use it all up in a week) and have my female rabbit spayed.

I wouldn't consider breeding them. Its a bad idea for so many reasons - not least because you don't have the finances to cope should you have problems and need serious vet treatment. Then there's the many, many, many rabbits in rescue etc
I would strongly advise you to get the female speyed as 80% of does will get cancer by the age of 5 if they are not speyed, so it really is essential for their health.

A Jersey Wooly and a Lionhead should not be bred together, for the simple fact they are two different breeds. Why breed more cross bred rabbits when there are too many off them in the first place? I dont think you should be breeding if you have any concerns regarding financial issues at all as breeding is a costly business and not a way to make money....if you are going to/'must' breed then why not breed either lionheads OR woolies, concentrate on A breed, quality lines and healthy examples of the breed. By mixing two different breeds togehter, each with their own characteristics or faults then goodness knows what the babes would turn out like with regards to health/coat/care needed. Please dont breed 2 'cute' bunnies together for the sake of it, if you must breed then at least be responsible, purposely breeding cross breeds is not responsible :D (just my friendly humble opinion!)

Ok, so things here have changed a bit. I went down to see the buns today and we took a closer look (Mom hadnt sexed the 'nutered male mix breed' yet) And when we did, we saw that the so called nuteredmale is a female and she looks a lot like a rex. When I looked at her I saw that she didnt seem like she got the love she deserved in her home before, and now all I can think is that that bun could die without ever knowing what it was like to live life the way a bun should.

So, if its not a totaly crazy thought, I am thinking I will get the female... And maybe after a few months I can convince mom to let me get the Jersey wooly too. i wont be breeding, I have thought about it and its just too much stress on Simi and on me.

So, heres the question... can I bond 2 unspayed (so far I havent been able to find a vet who will spay buns.) female buns? One is probably around 2 or 3 years, maybe more, and the other is 3 or four months.

It is possible to bond unspayed does but harder as they tend to be more territorial and feisty. I think Elve on here has a group of unspayed does who get along fine. Why don't you start a thread on bonding unspayed does and see what advice is given?

As far as spaying goes, it is a cost but have you considered going to the PDSA if you are on a low income or check with the RSPCA as they sometimes have vouchers for neutering at a discount. Neutering males is cheaper than females. One consideration is that if you end up with two females it's recommended to spay on healthgrounds to prevent uterine cancer and that is a lot of money to spay two rabbits.

There are thousands of rabbits in rescue and I would suggest you don't add to them by breeding more crossbreeds :)

Yes, it is possible to bond two unspeyed females but they can be highly territorial so it could be tricky. Obviously, it would be beest to keep trying to find a rabbit savvy vet who can spey them both.

Back