• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advise please..

Gingypig

Alpha Buck
Ok so Oscar is getting on just fine and he seems to be happy I just worry that he gets a bit lonely, I was wondering as I plan to get a rescue bun as a friend for him, what would be the harm of getting one now/soon as she will be neutered so will not matter that he is not yet?

The other thing is I was told by the lady I got him from and my v. good bunny friend that he is a boy, but he is so tiny,it's hard to tell!!!!! :shock:

HELP! :D

I am getting my Barney-boy a female friend because although he seems perfectly happy, I always worry that he might be trying to talk to me in ways only another rabbit would understand... Apparently, my parents now worry I 'think too much'. But I think getting a friend from a rescue is a good idea. ^-^ There are so many rabbits out there in need of homes. If I were you, I'd get the rabbit sexed so you know for sure whether Oscar is a boy or a girl. Apparently it is easier to bond boy/girl, when both have paid a visit to the vet and been spayed/neutered.

Also, although you might bond them prior to Oscar being neutuered, it is possible for the bond to 'break' after he has been done, as his scent will change and you may have to rebond. Hope that helps!

Hi

A friend is a great idea for your bun! I think they usually say leave it a few weeks after being neteured, but if you contact your local rescues they will let you know for sure. Good luck! Sarah

it is possabl to bond an untred buck to doe but im awating untill bailey is nutred in 4 weeks time so in the next 8 weeks i should have a group of 2 /3 if other bun is ok

My concern is he is only 8 ish weeks so wil have to wait qhite a while for him to be neutered? so he will be lonely for that time? Is it poss to have 2 buns live next to each other (in next door pens) so they have company but can't finght etc??? thanks xxx

To be honest, providing your rescue bun is neutered/spayed i don't see there being many problems? Because your current bunny is so young i doubt he will want to pick a fight... If you get a neutered male from rescue, and bond them slowly it should be ok...I have heard an experienced rabbit-savvy veterinarian can neuter a rabbit from 12/13 weeks of age?

I personally would wait until he is neutered - as soon as his testicles drop the vet can neuter him and that can be around 3-4 months. He won't know life with a friend so won't miss it until then if you get what I mean! Has the vet checked him over? If not you could pop him along for sexing although if it was a good breeder they should have been able to sex him properly for you. Then when he's neutered I'd recommend taking him to a rescue who will help bond him with a bunny of his choice rather than you bringing one home and him not liking her (some rabbits are rather choosey!!)

My concern is he is only 8 ish weeks so wil have to wait qhite a while for him to be neutered? so he will be lonely for that time? Is it poss to have 2 buns live next to each other (in next door pens) so they have company but can't finght etc??? thanks xxx

My friend did this with her two Frenchies and they were seperated by mesh so when it came to bond there was no problem although as I say in my post above I'd wait a little while, it won't be long

He won't be lonely It's a good opportunity for you to spend lots of time with him and get him used to being handled and stroked.

Thanks guys, i think I will wait for a bit, get him checked out at vets when I take him for his vacs next week. He is so tame already, the lady i got him from was lovely, I don't think he has ever heard a bad word!! :D

Back