• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help - Soggy Rabbits :(

kayjay

Warren Veteran
Pippa and MJ refuse to use their hutch over the run so I've recently blocked it off and put guineapigs up there. Overnight though their run cover blew off and they are in a right state this morning, especially MJ. He's very wet and has soggy muddy feet from sitting on saturated hay that was in the bottom of the run. I've cleaned out the run, given them fresh hay and food (that was too soggy to eat also). But they have no proper shelter.

I'm considering moving the guineapigs to another hutch (they're only in this one as it's easier for me to feed them and clean them out) and confining Pippa and MJ to the hutch until this awful weather passes.

What do you think is the best thing to do? Are they ok soggy and damp (can't believe they are and MJ does look miserable today). HELP!!!

Pippa and MJ refuse to use their hutch over the run so I've recently blocked it off and put guineapigs up there. Overnight though their run cover blew off and they are in a right state this morning, especially MJ. He's very wet and has soggy muddy feet from sitting on saturated hay that was in the bottom of the run. I've cleaned out the run, given them fresh hay and food (that was too soggy to eat also). But they have no proper shelter.

I'm considering moving the guineapigs to another hutch (they're only in this one as it's easier for me to feed them and clean them out) and confining Pippa and MJ to the hutch until this awful weather passes.

What do you think is the best thing to do? Are they ok soggy and damp (can't believe they are and MJ does look miserable today). HELP!!!

No, I don't think that's ok - they should have constant access to dry shelter with a place where the food + hay can stay dry too :) Maybe you can get a hutch to put in the run that they can use if they choose?

Hi,
I have to say during the really bad weather I shut Cookie and Jimmy in the hutch bit (same as yours I think the massve happyhutch combo)
Some may disagree, but it was only overnight as Cookie went into GI stasis last time the weather was awful after sitting out in it all night.
Hope they are ok, maybe do as Jocelyn says and get them something they can sit in in the run.:D
Lucy x

My plan was to save up for the extension before Winter and then it'll fit a hutch in for them but I hadn't counted on the monsoon weather. I'm off to move the piggy's now and then catch two disgrunted bunnies

I'd put a box style shelter in the run. You can buy wooden hides for bunnies. Rabbits really need a enclosed bolt hole for shelter & security even if there is a cover over the run.

I'd bring them indoors till they're properly dry - it's so bloomin cold I've got my winter coat on in July still :(

What did you have for a run cover, and how was it fixed on?

I'd put a box style shelter in the run. You can buy wooden hides for bunnies. Rabbits really need a enclosed bolt hole for shelter & security even if there is a cover over the run.

They've got a carrier in and the whole thing is covered with tarpaulin (I don't want everyone to think I've let them out there with no protection) but they won't go in the shelter :roll:

I am now wetter that I thought possible to get and they are now snuggly in their hutch, the guineapigs have moved to their new hutch. I'm glad I did - MJ and Pippa were both wet :( I've covered the hutch up and am going to leave them to dry off and check them later.

Teddy and Jemima are sensible, they go in the hutch or in the carrier in this weather so stay dry.

I'd bring them indoors till they're properly dry - it's so bloomin cold I've got my winter coat on in July still :(

What did you have for a run cover, and how was it fixed on?

Tarpaulin but I must admit I've struggled to fix it on so I can still open the lid of the run. When the OH got up this morning he went out in his pj's to cover them up again but they could have been uncovered all night :( I use bricks to weight it down but they'd blown off, we back onto fields and it's quite exposed

Do you think they'll be ok in the hutch to dry off? The house isn't much warmer and it'll stress them to come in I think.

I think they will be fine to dry off in the hutch if they are both in general good health :)

Vinnie has been in and out of the monsoon weather all the time and he is an old man with arthritis! He waits at the back door in the morning ready to run out whatever the weather! He just finds a nice bush to sit under to munch the weeds and grass :)

Also my new bun Bessies has been in her run all week and has not used the built in shelter area in the rain, even when heavy. Some buns like it some don't! So long as they have secur ecovered access i think they should be fine and if they choose not to go in then they obviously don't mind being wet!

You could always put their veggies inside to entice them in maybe...?

If they had shelter and choose to sit out in the rain I wouldn't be too bothered. Have a feel of their under coat (stick your fingers under their fur) they should be dry by the skin even if they're soaking on top. Mine often sit out in the rain (and they do use their hutch).

You might find corex or similar which you could screw to the run lid might be easier. It's a pain fidling with tarps/sheets etc.

Tam

I'm having similar probs at the mo with my bun refusing to go in her hutch. She pops up now and again during the day (i think for a poo :lol: ) but not at night.

I too was worried about weather, so i now put her in at hutch at night just before dark. I hoping she will then get used to it before Winter.

Its an unfortunate accident that wind blew off the protection cover you gave them. It could happen to any Bun in a run. Keep them dry today and tonight and i'm sure they will be fine.

I would try to dry them a bit with paper towels.

I use corrugated plastic sheeting on my run combos. They have a b rick on when windy and havent ever blown off. B & Q sell them for about £5 a sheet. Hope this helps. You can see in the piccie below a piece I was cleaning out so the other pieces were by the side of the hutch.

bunnies011.jpg

Thanks Steph, I was looking at them today in B&Q. The problem at the moment is that the rain is blowing in sideways too although I will be moving them soon to a bit more sheltered spot at the bottom of the garden (very soon now I think!!)

I've just peeked in at them and they are really snuggly, asleep on top of one another - these two really do love each other :love:

Hi,

I've got two Wilkinson car boot liners for covering the run. They have eyelets in each corner so I have attached them with cable ties. They work really well and only cost £1.99 each and the ties were 79p. At the moment 3/4 of the run is covered but it is easy to remove the covers when it's not so wet! (If that ever happens!)

PS they cover the top and sides.

Hiya,

Gasket and Tappet have access to their hutch all day long but Gasket still seems to enjoy sitting outside in all weathers. Tappet has more sense than that (or he just likes his creature comforts). Gasket does get soaked sometimes and I usually bring them in in the evenings (regardless of the weather) for a few hours and so when he is wet he has the chance to dry off. They are then locked in their hutch for the night. They seem fine with this routine. ;)

My marsha is the same. she was abit wet this morning but theres nothing i could do. shes fine now and dry as a bone and luckily its been nice weather. managed to get her in her hutch tonite tho.

x

Hi,

I've got two Wilkinson car boot liners for covering the run. They have eyelets in each corner so I have attached them with cable ties. They work really well and only cost £1.99 each and the ties were 79p. At the moment 3/4 of the run is covered but it is easy to remove the covers when it's not so wet! (If that ever happens!)

PS they cover the top and sides.

Oooh that's a great idea :D

I've left them in the hutch overnight. I'm a bit worried about MJ he still looks sad and sorry for himself although he's eating fine - I've seen him eat his pellets and he ate his greens ok. Fingers crossed he's ok tomorrow morning

Back