• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pellet or rabbit mix?

Hi :wave:

Pellets are generally considered better because then rabbits cannot feed selectively - i.e. pick out the tastiest bits of the mix and leave the bits which might be most nutritional for them.

I prefer using pellets as some rabbits may pick out some favourite pieces of the rabbit mix, and then they don't get all the nutriments they need.
What's best depends on the type of pellet or mix. Some are good, others are not healthy.

I have heard that pellets are better for them because it stops selective eating (i.e. eating only the bits they like and leaving everything else at the bottom) and i heard there are also dental benefits.

Since we've changed Squidgy over to pellets he's been much healthier. He was prone to a sticky bottom before, now he's perfect and looks 100%
All my buns get the allen and page natural pellets (not many a day though!) and they do enjoy them.

Just to add - someone posted this link for me the other day and it's very informative :thumb:

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/rabbitfood.asp

Thanks for the link Helen and the info guys as most of you think pellets are better for a rabbit's health do you think it would help with teeth problems? Obviously they wouldn't cure them but would it help control the growth? Also which would be the best brand that I can pick up from a local place like Wilkinsons or Wilsons pets?

Thanks Esther x

I actually think less pellets are better for bunny teeth, as they will then have to eat more hay which does help with their teeth. As far as I'm aware, the actual chewing of pellets doesn't wear the teeth that much.

Thanks for the link Helen and the info guys as most of you think pellets are better for a rabbit's health do you think it would help with teeth problems? Obviously they wouldn't cure them but would it help control the growth? Also which would be the best brand that I can pick up from a local place like Wilkinsons or Wilsons pets?

Thanks Esther x

wilsons near me sells science selective and excel, SS is generally thought of as better than excel as its less protein and more fibre. Wilkinsons only sells mix, and its not that great - before I found this forum my buns were on wilkinsons mix :cry: :oops: - I know better now

Mine absolutely loved mix but due to a sticky bottom problem in MJ and then Teddy when I got him (he'd already survived flystrike once) I've got them on to Science Selective and the sticky bottoms disappeared. If I'm honest I used to read I should give them pellets but thought mine like mix and I can't believe it makes that much difference to their poo, but it did, and I'm so glad I perservered to get them changed over. Cleaning out is so much easier and I have no sticky bums to worry about and wash and trim!!

i use both, half mix , the same one ive used for 15 yrs and half a ,p never had a rabbit with sticky bottom, guess ive been lucky. . also have ready grass and lashings of hay.

i use both, half mix , the same one ive used for 15 yrs and half a ,p never had a rabbit with sticky bottom, guess ive been lucky. . also have ready grass and lashings of hay.
I've just moved onto this as well, as I wanted to give him more variation. He still eats all his pellets, but really enjoys some of the mix (not all, so I guess mix alone wouldn't be sufficient), and of course. tons of hay & grass.

Hi Esther, Yeah, there's guidlelines on the link - gradually mix the new feed into the old one over a period of maybe around 10 days - so 10% pellets in the total food on day one, 20% on day 2, and so on. Keep an eye on your bunnies' poo - if it changes to soft or runny, you're changing the food too rapidly.

Good luck :D

Science Selective is higher in fibre than Excel and is widely available, I get it from my local petshop and you can buy it online. Bunnybasics also do their own pellets and they were kind enough to send me a sample but my rabbits wouldn't eat it :roll: I tried mixing it in as guidelines but tbh they wouldn't eat it when mix was around so in the end I spent a couple of days hand feeding them with pellets then switched and they all eat it fine

I understand the highest fibre pellet is Allen and Page. You can buy these from horse suppliers. Most of my buns are on the A & P. I have two bucks who are on Excel because they have always been on it and I have not encountered any sticky poops. I also have fosters and 3 babies under 6 months on Science Selective.

Back