• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies on their backs

JayUK

Mama Doe
:wave: I've had to 'Trance' Bertie on a couple of occasions for bum & feet checks, scent gland cleans & nail inspections, and I read conflicting advice about this. Some say it's ok to put bunnies on their backs, others that it's very distressing, and although bun looks relaxed and chilled, he's actually terrified. Bertie certainly seems very relaxed & I'd hate him to be terrified by it.

As with lots of things, as a new bunny guardian, I am confused by conflicting advice, and hope you can help out on this one.
Thanks in advance :D

They aren't "chilled out" in that position at all:they are in a frozen mode hoping to escape when the time is right. Some people do "trance" their buns in order do a quick health check, but it shouldn't be done at random in the mistaken belief that they are actually enjoying the experience.

I do it when it's time to cut their claws. as it's nearly impossible otherwise (and rather impossible when on their back too)

Many buns ARE terrified in that position. They use this position at rabbit shows so that the judge can check the rabbits over without them moving around. But there ARE exceptions to this rule.....and my Timmy is one of them. He is TOTALLY relaxed in this position, and will give me kisses, or 'chin' me, and more often than not fall deeply asleep laying on his back. He is definately NOT waiting for a chance to escape, as when he watches telly laying in bed with me, he lays on his back......and I can get up, go get something to eat and a drink, or whatever......and when I come back he is still laying there! When I lay back down, he snuggles back in close, and will often flop onto his back. My other buns are NOT relaxed in this position, and it is very obvious that they are 'frozen'. I guess it depends on the individual bun and how far their comfort and trust zone goes.

oh right.sorry i didnt know!:? she will eat hay whilst lying like that.oopsx

I think its alright if your not actually trancing them and they are choosing to lay on their backs, Beau sleeps on his back in the middle of the living room and snores, if you call him he will move his head to look at you if he cant be bothered to actually get up :lol: He seems happy enough sleeping like that but I would never put them on their backs myself :D

I dont like the idea of trancing as I believe the Bun is actually 'playing dead' from fear rather than relaxing. But if Bun chooses to sleep on their back thats fine :)

:lol: :lol: at Beau!!!!

Janex

My personal belief is that it makes a traumatic experience (nails, teeth, medication etc.) safer and quicker for both bunny and owner and im not ashamed to admit that I trance, after all they dont exactly like nails, teeth medicine etc. either ...although I know other dont agree.

Incidentally there are some bunnies who just cannot be tranced....Marley is one of them and claw cutting is a nightmare :roll:

I'm not sure now, but i always thought it was ok. My vet did it very carefully to amber when we first got her, to double check that she was infact a she (don't trust pet shops).

I wouldn't do it unless really necessary just incase.

I dont like the idea of trancing as I believe the Bun is actually 'playing dead' from fear rather than relaxing. But if Bun chooses to sleep on their back thats fine :)

:lol: :lol: at Beau!!!!

Janex

He doesnt even move if you walk past him or step over him, just kind of looks at you then goes back to sleep :lol:

I don't think that there's anything wrong with putting a rabbit on their back for a quick nail trim or to give them medicine or something. One of my rabbits gets freaked out, but one I believe is really quite happy like that. The other one I don't know. I wouldn't put them like that for any longer that necessary, but I think it's ok for a short time.

One of my old rabbits had an accident with some gaffa tape, that was my fault as I'd used it to stick some chicken wire down, he'd riped it off and got it stuck in between his paws and all over his tummy, luckily my bunnis are in my bedroom so I noticed straight away, and had to put him in the trance thingy to get it off. That was the first time I have ever used it, and I don't think I could have removed it without doing it. So sometimes its a good thing.

How on earth can you give medication to a bunny that is lying on his back?, surely there is a real risk of choking?

I will do this for various things, usually bum checks ect, i do however carry Tilly like this as it's the only way to carry her anywhere without her trying to jump away! Some of mine are also impossible to get on there backs for any reason and some of the positions i get myself into trying to check bums is quite funny :)

Thanks peeps, I'll keep the trancing to a minimum, and if the little fella wants to lie on his back, that's up 2 him!

I just wrap my buns in a towel and get someone else to hold them facing me and i can easily trim nails and check their bums like this.
When i've been on my own i've turned Phoebe onto her back while i cut off matted hair from round her bum. I still wrap her in a towel and after a couple of minutes she will turn herself over so i know she's had enough by then. If you can avoid turning them over then do so but if there is no other way then just be as quick as possible.
I have seen some bunnies lying on their backs having a cuddle and they seem to enjoy it but most bunnies don't.
My vet actually tried to do this to Amber when she checked her over but she wouldn't lie still and kept struggling to get upright. I didn't like to see her do that and i'd never do it to her myself as she clearly hates it.

Back