• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding the buns?

LittleBunniesRock

Warren Scout
I know i've had this conversation before, and I know i'll get reprimanded for it, but I have another question concering my 8 wk old doe and 10 mo old buck. (got the buck neutered 5 wks ago, so itll be another 3 till he's all clear). I just read that once you totally bond a pair, they mighn't be quite so "interested" in each other (humping, i mean). IF we totally bonded the pair of them, and let him confirm his dominance over her for about 10- 15 seconds, would this behaviour stop? Obviously, i'd clean out his cage, move it, and spray it down with vinegar, and watch them both the first time I put them in together, but I do want to do the right thing. I've been putting one in the carrier on the floor and letting the other run around, but when I switch the two they're both straining to get at each other for a snuggle and sniff. We had a hutch lined up on loan for the doe until the buck is totally clear, but when we went to pick it up today, they realized it had a large hole in it- it was totally unusable. Currently the doe is cooped up in a carrier cage at night, something I hate to do but she's too much of an escape artist to let romp around in a pen.

I may be asking this for the wrong reasons, but if once they're bonded will all this action still be a problem, or is it just a dominance thing?

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Humping is very much a dominence thing, some buns will continue to do it, some won't.

The only pair of mine who still hump a year after being together are my does Moonshine and Flopsy. Its always Moonshine who humps Flopsy, and it seems to generally happen just before I give then their pellets.

Nicola

AFAIK it's not anything to worry about. It's just a dominance display, so i believe you just have to let it happen.

They should meet initially on neutrel grounds (an area that neither rabbit has been) and this might reduce dominance tendancies, but it will happen sooner or later.

Someone else will be able to help more in terms of how to properly intro/bond them. But providing you keep an eye on them it should be ok...

They're already sort-of half bonded... they know each other, and were showing very good signs of a promising relationship... snuggling, laying by each other, grooming each other, etc etc. however, I was advised earlier to keep them apart until 8 weeks after Rex was neutered. (look @ my threads). However, it's been so stressful recently keeping them apart, I was wondering if there was any other way... So basically, if They're fine with each other, they can stay in the same cage???

Yes, once they're fully bonded they can live together. But i've never bonded rabbits before, so i'm not sure how to tell when the time is right to let them share a cage. Someone else might be able to advise there :)

I'm not sure if it is actually 8 weeks you need to wait before intro'ing them? I thought it was 6

I usually introduce & then leave them on neutral territory for three-ish days, then put them back in a cage. I never separate & do "introductions" unless i have a tough bun involved!

So, if I put them both on neutral territory for 3 days or so, including nights, and everything goes to plan, I should be able to put em together??!!!

brilliant!!!!!!:D :D :D

Back