• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi & Fleas

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
OK so I know that Myxi can be spread by fleas and biting insects. We don't know of anywhere where we could come into contact with fleas directly, but I'm thinking about weird ways that this might happen? If a person picked up a flea, could it survive on that person, or do they die off without a "host".

The reason I ask is that my parents go to their caravan of a weekend and have said they've seen bunnies with sore eyes there.... Could it happen that they were somehow to pick up a flea and bring it home with them, then if I went to visit them and ended up bringing it home with me?? Or is this too far-fetched and I'm being paranoid? :oops:

I would think hedgehogs/foxes/cats etc. in your garden would be more of a risk :)

Tam

I would say possible, but unlikely. The 'rabbit flea' can only survive on a rabbit, like the 'hedgehog flea' can only survive on a hedgehog etc. But they could be 'carried' on clothing etc, but I don't know how long they would live for.:?
So in theory, you could be walking through grass where a myxi rabbit had been and left a flea, the flea could jump on you leg and then you could take it home with you, but I should think this is very unlikely!
I think only if you were to handle a wild rabbit with fleas then I would worry.
I get paranoid, as at work sometimes I have to handle myxi rabbits that are riddled with fleas. I give myself some squirts with flea spray, and then strip when I get home as soon as I get in the door! :shock:

Back