• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how can you tell how old a rabbit is?

MrsSquirty

New Kit
:wave: hiya everyone im new here and have a question if you dont mind

I have two dwarf lops (well thats what the shop said they were)

I have sexed them (using the pics on this forum) and both are definatly male.

im just wondering how i can tell how old they are. one is a bit bigger than the other (so we are thinking a bit older) but we are not totally sure.

so any advice would be greatfully recieved :)

thank you in advance

lindz
xxXXxx

Are they neutered? If not you will be able to tell when they reach about 4-5months, cos 2 un-neutered boys will start to fight;)

A vet might be able to give you a rough guess

i dont think they have been castrated yet. the shop didnt say anything about it.

It's unlikely if they are from a shop

It's illegal to sell them younger than 8 weeks, & usually on the shop floor they are meant to have been quarantined for a week-ish, so you are looking at 10-16 weeks when you bought them I should imagine. A vet will be able to tell by the size though:D

ah right, thank you :)

need to start ringing ound some vets then to ask about prices for getting them the snip lol

It costs me £34.95 per bun up here, but it's usually a bit dearer down south:rolleyes:

Are you getting another petshop bun? You could try approaching a Rescue? It's likely bun will already be neutered then, & they may bond them for you when your buns are neutered:D

we not planning to get another one yet. not with new baby on the way as well lol think me hands will be full with new baby and the two rabs we got.

and i know it sounds bad but both the rabs are "the boys" really,, in hopes that they wont feel so pushed out when new baby is here.

altho its up to me to clean them fee them etc, and im having them out daily to get them use to being handled

Jumpy is living up to his name at the minute, altho he is fine when being held. Archie is the other way around, he is fine in his cage will let you troke him, even comes to the cage for a nose, but once he is out and being held he keeps scrambling for my shoulders lol, altho im guessing its because they not use to being handled?

but maybe once new baby is a bit older and im not so hands ful with him, i might pester the hubby into letting me get maybe one more rabbit, and id probably go for rescue rabbits next time :) (hadnt really thought about it this time round!)

It was me - misread your sig - read it as another bun coming in Aug not an actual baby:oops: :lol: (bunnies on the brain:lol: )

Some buns never really get used to being pcked up. They are prey animals, so naturally like all feet on the floor - although neutering sometimes makes them easier to handle:lol:

My first bun - Smirnoff - only recently started coming over to see me. i've had him 2.5 years:lol:

lol sorry my sig is a bit confusing :oops: lol

I love our lil buns to bits bless em they are really sweet, jumpy seems quite settled in their bedroom in the hutch (he is never out of it lol) where as archie seems quite laid back in the rest of the hutch, and if we have im out he will jsut lounge about and stretch out not bothered by whats going on, but as soon as you go to pick him up he bolts, altho he did enjoy it the other day when i was trying to sex them both and had him laying on his back on my lap with his legs in the air.

altho dont think he was too impressed by me softly blowing on his bits to try and find where they were (i didnt realise i was holding them and his tail out of the way at first lol) he was doing a good thumper impression though with his left foot while i was blowing lol. altho i think he was glad when it was over and i just let him lay on my lap while i stroked his tum :) (both the kids were enjoying that as well, they liked stroking his tummy lol)

Back