• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to do?!...

I get an email from her this morning...that has somewhat left me a little upset, and sort of I dont know what to do...

She has my three rabbits living with her, and one of them Starlite is a dental bun...She clips his teeth, as I was trained to do so by an extremely rabbit savy person, and then i taught her to do...She only goes a tells me now that my brother and sister have been doing it as well...who as far as I know dont know how to do it properly....She then goes on to say that it would be nice to see me, as she feels Starlite is not going to be with us much longer....

The probelm is,is this my and my mum havent got on since January, and when we have spoken have ended up rowing and shouting at each other something chronic. I can not drive and do not have a key to the house either. The only way I can get there is if my boyfriend drives me, and comes with me...but this is the HUGE problem he doesnt get on with my mum. It is the reason we are not speaking because she can not trust him...

So what on earth am I suppose to do, I believe that my mum isnt doing it intenionly to see me, as as far as I know the health of my other two bunnies is fine (one of them being 8 years old..so she cant be doing anything bad!)...but I am really really unhappy at the prospect of my brother/sister clipping Starlight teeth.

Rabbits teeth shouldn't be clipped anyway to be honest - even if it's done 'properly' there's a chance that a slightly odd angle or bit of pressure gets the tooth the wrong way and it can crack right down to the root leaving the opportunity for infection to set in :?
If thye're overgrowing quite quickly then it's worth thinking about having them removed

You see this is another problem, I am a little weary I suppose about putting a rabbit through tooth removal...

I had this done to another bunny (Starlite Son) as we bred him once...As he was a youngester around 4/5 months old, and didnt want to have to keep putting him through GA's for his whole life....He had to have all his front teeth removed....
He died just 48 hours after the operation, despite following all the post op care, it broke my heart. I was in extremely good contact with my vets at this point (having 10 rabbits i was always popping in), and i think it also shocked him, as i recieved a letter and a card from him saying how sorry he was.
Mike was a small bunny, but never weak, but I now fear that if Starlite is weak (as my mum says) i really dont want him going under a G/A for him not to survive.....

I think sometimes it is important to see past our differences for a few hours for the sake of something more important. Imagine how much you'd regret it if Starlite died and you didn't get to see her because you were worried about arguing. You could always ask your boyfriend to wait in the car for an hour with a book if things are really that bad between him and your mum.

Back