• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeding by size?

touie

Wise Old Thumper
I feed all my rabbits pretty much the same which means little twinkle who's about 2kg gets the same as Sugarplum who's about 5kg :?

Is this right or should I adjust according to weight? I think sugarplum makes up for it by eating more hay than all the others about 1/2 a petshop sized bale on a hungry day :shock: They all appear to be about the right weight apart from fudge that i posted about before and Caramel who's too skinny :?

i feed mine on size and age so snowey gets less than bailey as she dosent eat as mutch hay where as bailey gets throw loads of hay in a day

If they're about the right weight then I wouldn't worry too much - smaller animals have a higher metabolism anyway so I imagine they burn off the calories faster, plus larger breeds have more stress on their joints and organs due to the size so the last thing you want is them to be overweight.

I never fed Tia (nethie) as much pellets as the others, and Maa has twice as much as any of them, but they are all about the same 'fatness' and condition - I judge it by how fat or thin they get - Maa was thin, so I increased her pellets till she was a good weight, then decreased them a bit so that she's maintained that healthy weight. I've noticed Benny's getting a bit porky, so he's now getting slightly less pellets - only a couple of teaspoons less a day, but I don't think it's healthy for them (or us) to lose weight rapidly - it will eventually slim him down. They all get the same amount of veg though.

i think you can only adjust according to their weight. if mine look skinny i sometimes add some oats to their feed and if they look fat then i reduce the mix.;)

It's difficult to tell with Sugarplum, she has a big dulap that makes her look bigger than she is :?

lola gets double the others but she is more than double their size. i think she would be very unhappy if she got the measly few pellets the others got :lol:

i dont really bother adjusting for Gus, Zeb & Frida even though there is some variation in size, and Bracken gets different stuff anyway.

In the feeding instructions on my pellets it says to give the rabbits one certain amount of food each KG the rabbit weighs. Don't remember quite how much but I feed Zakura (dwarf mix, 2 kg) one handfull of pellets and Sasuke (rex, almost 3 kg) about 2 handfulls.

I tend to give Smudge and Dudley a little bit less pellets than the others because their smaller. But Flopsy, even though she's crossed with a french lop and is a large lady, doesn't seem to eat more pellets than they do.

Teddy and Jemima get (and eat) more than Pippa and MJ. Their bowl is always emptied pretty quickly whereas Pippa and MJ prefer to graze during the night and don't have much breakfast at all. Teddy is the biggest bun by far but is still losing weight as his diet and exercise has improved since I got him

Back