• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to give Baytril

lynda_m

Warren Veteran
We had a bit of a mishap with bonding at the weekend and my poor Honey didn't come off too well, she ended up in the vets Monday for a check over and Tuesday for an operation to sew her upper and lower eye lids back together :cry:

I feel truly awful about this but I am positive I did all the right things with neutral territory etc and am just going to have to accept that it was one of those things, however, I have to give her 1ml of baytril twice a day amongst other things. The vets have mixed it with Ribena but she's having none of it!!

How can I make sure she gets the baytril without stressing her out?

I would try putting it on her pellets but she's a really fussy eater and I need to be sure she's getting her meds to prevent further infection to her poorly eye :(

TBH I go with the "cruel to be kind" route these days and just syringe it in their mouths plain. Adding ribena/another juice just means more for them to swallow, and giving it in a treat/food works until they leave half and then you don't know what dose they've taken. I just give it straight and give them a yummy treat afterwards

does she like pear?

i usually get a piece of pear and stick the syringe in that and squeeze the baytril into the pear. my lot cant resist it and it is easy to do (much easier than trying to force it down a very unhappy bunny)

sarah :)

If you really struggle to get it down him you can add Baytril to his drinking water. Of course it needs to be in the correct quantities.:D By all means try tasty foods etc first but if all else fails ask your vet about diluting it. ;)

If you really struggle to get it down him you can add Baytril to his drinking water. Of course it needs to be in the correct quantities.:D By all means try tasty foods etc first but if all else fails ask your vet about diluting it. ;)

This really isn't the best idea though for several reasons :? Firstly it tastes foul - I've tasted it :lol: and it's gross! This means it can put the bun off water, and an ill bun doesn't need to be getting dehydrated on top of everything.
Also, unless you only fill the bottle up as much as they'll drink in x amount of time they may leave some and not get a full dose. Underdosing antibiotics just helps the bugs get immune to it. It also means they only get little doses throughout the day rather than all of it in one go.
Thirdly if they live with another bun (not in this case but just as an example) then the healthy bun will be getting antibiotics for no reason, which makes them less effective if that bun should need them later on, and could give them an upset tum which could be easily avoided. You also wouldn't know how much antibiotic each bun got

I might try putting it on a banana for her, she seems to like banana. Will just have to watch her and make sure she eats it all. She's been so good with letting bathe her eye and give her eye drops, she just doesn't like this baytril! :lol:

I put it on a small amount of wholemeal bread, let it sink in. Roll the bread up and dip it in apple juice :)

TBH I go with the "cruel to be kind" route these days and just syringe it in their mouths plain. Adding ribena/another juice just means more for them to swallow, and giving it in a treat/food works until they leave half and then you don't know what dose they've taken. I just give it straight and give them a yummy treat afterwards

Same as Karley here...I use a syringe for liquid medicine. I think its too much of a risk to just add to water,etc, and hope some of it is consumed.

On the positive side, some medicines are yummy and rabbits will willingly take them. E.g. Metacam and prepulsid. :D

For powder, I sprinkle between 2 lettuce leaves and sandwich them together.

Amy

I DID NOT just add it to water and hope it worked. After 3 days of not managing to get any baytril near my giant who is a stone and a half and fought me tooth and nail, half of it went around the shed and stressed him out. He had to have something like 15mls of the stuff and that is not easy to adminsiter in one go! After the 3rd day of trying he ran away from me all the time and would not come near me. It was extremely stressful for him and so I went back to the vet concerned that he had not got practically no medicine and now hated me! Within 2 days of having it in his water he was well again.

I said it wasn't ideal but was an option if all else failed.

I DID NOT just add it to water and hope it worked.

I never said you did, but after years of giving Baytril (rats and their proneness to respiratory problems :roll: ) it's not a method I'd recommend - I'd go for injectable Baytril before giving it in water personally.
15ml is a lot, was it diluted? The dose for cats is 5mg/kg and the usual liquid I'm given is about 22mg/ml so a 2kg bun would only need 0.5ml :?

After 3 days of not managing to get any baytril near my giant who is a stone and a half and fought me tooth and nail, half of it went around the shed and stressed him out. He had to have something like 15mls of the stuff and that is not easy to adminsiter in one go!

15ml seems like an awful lot of baytril. Are you sure it wasn't 1.5ml?

She did say that it was a giant weighing a stone and a half so the 15 ml is prob right.

Rather you than me though Lea-Anne. I'm struggling getting 1ml in to my little one!

last month we had pre made baytril injections for Suki, now she is on oral baytril, 0.2ml twice a day. she doesnt seem to mind it atm, but she used to hate it.

I just put the syringe in the side of her mouth and squeeze that easy

My vet prescribed 0.6 ml a day for a guinea pig, which I thought was way too much and I couldn't hide it in her food either - nightmare.

Regards rabbits, I drip it onto cabbage, but it's a bit hit or miss if it gets wiped on the floor. If you wait till they are hungry first thing in the morning, they will eat some mushed up pellets with it on plus fruit juice mixed in - then give them the rest of their pellets.

I put it on a small amount of wholemeal bread, let it sink in. Roll the bread up and dip it in apple juice

I think this is the best idea and I'll definitely try it next time :D

Might gove the bread idea a go too, I've got to give her one more dose tonight, 2 more tomorrow then another on Friday morning before we can see the vet again!

I put it on a small amount of wholemeal bread, let it sink in. Roll the bread up and dip it in apple juice :)

People often say adding it to juice works, but I've never had a bun that liked juice. Mine look at me like I've offended them if I offer juice or anything soaked in juice. I've tried apple, pineapple, orange, cranberry.

People often say adding it to juice works, but I've never had a bun that liked juice. Mine look at me like I've offended them if I offer juice or anything soaked in juice. I've tried apple, pineapple, orange, cranberry.

Bread on its own would probably work anyway, it's just an extra disguise :lol:

I think i'll get a banana and some brown bread for her to try, she's been so good throughout but I can't get this baytril down her for love nor money!

Bread on its own would probably work anyway, it's just an extra disguise :lol:

I think it depends what medicine you're trying to hide. Baytril is sometimes OK hidden in bread, but they always get wise to it after a few days and start to eat around the medicated part.

Panacur is the worst. None of mine will will take it hidden in food, apart from my newbie Lily who seems to eat anything.

Back