• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding question

dashylove3189

Young Bun
hi! :wave: This is my first time on the board and I have a few questions. Okay so I have two bunnies a little boy named Dash and a little girl named Nilla and I have had Dash for about 5 months now and Nilla for 4. We tried bonding them the day we brought Nilla home and Dash attacked her, well at least that's what it looked like, he was scratching and biting and my boyfriend tried to separate them but Nilla kept running back, but she was being friendly towards him. So anyways we were too scared to try again so we kept them in separate cages and let them out to play at different times (which is becoming a pain in the neck!) we tried bonding again months later with them on leashes and dash was much milder this time but scared us a couple times by darting towards her but then he would just smell her, and then he took two nips out of her and she didn't act like it hurt but my boyfriend said thats that and separated them again and I'm getting so frustrated! So what do you think, how should I approach bonding them. We discussed trying to do it in the car but my boyfriend vetoed that saying if they started to fight they would be in close quarters and we would all get hurt so I have no idea what so ever to do!! Suggestions please!!??

are they both neutered/spayed? you also need to try them together on completely neutral ground otherwise they're very likely to fight. If you do a bonding search on here you'll find loads of advice :D

Nilla is fixed Dash isn't, and thanks for the links! Hopefully we can get these two together, but I also want to get Dash neutered so maybe we should hold off until he is done?

Yes, I think getting him done would be the first step otherwise he won't give her a moment's peace. Plenty of people on here have successfully bonded pairs so you won't be short of advice :D .

Neil

Certainly wait until he is neutered....his constant attempts at mating will pee her off eventually.

Hello :wave:

I only have 1 bunny at the mo, and my first, you may see his pics on other posts (he's called Oscar). So i have no advice about bonding, you know it feels very strange not being the one to give advice about an animal as with most others (horses, dogs, cats, guinea pigs, fish, etc) I'm the one people come to. Anyway I am learning a great deal from all the lovely helpful people on here!!! good luck with your bonding! xx

Back