• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Getting a urine sample?

Rabbers

Mama Doe
Rolo has been back to the vets AGAIN! She's had two UTI in the last few months and each time they seem to clear up with antibiotics and then they come back again. The vet said last time we'd try a blood test etc if it happened again.

For the last two days Rolo has looked like she is incontinent, with urine on the hutch floor and on her back legs. So it seems it's back again. They weighed her again today and she's lost 10g. I can feel her bones, whereas my other rabbit Ozzie (in the avatar) is round and soft and i can't feel his spine.

So this time we've had blood taken and now I'm going to try and get a urine sample - I have cleaned the hutch and litter trays with anti bac cleaner (pet one) and wiped it all away until it's absolutely dry. I haven't put in any hay and I'm hoping she'll use it - but i doubt it! loL!

ANy advice on how to get the cleanest urine sample possible and any advice on what might be the problem with Rolo?
Many thanks xx

I collect my urine samples in an empty urine tray. A year ago one of my french lops had incontinence and was investigated fully. She had a negative EC test. In the end, with nothing to lose as she was frail, she stayed on a very long course of Baytril and her symptoms stopped. Could have been 4+ weeks. It was felt that as her symptoms temporarily stopped on the week's course of Baytril, but then returned, it was worth extending the course. For her it worked.

I would definitely do a urine test and a blood test. Have they suggested a course of Panacur. Her back legs might also be uncomfortable for her as she probably has urine scald on them, so you will need to help her with these too.

Maisie has picked up weight recently has I had her on a spoon of porridge oats daily and I did increase her pellets.

My vets managed to get urine samples from Mary by pressing gently on his bladder at the vets - he went on the table and the vet could syringe it up.
I know with cats you can use a litter tray but replace the litter with fish gravel - it resembles a litter to them but doesn't absorb the wee

I would like to announce that I now have a urine sample all bottled up!
She is a star! She used her tray :D I hope it's clean enough. We'll see.

Thanks for your reply Raine - I was thinking that a longer course of antibiotics would be a good idea too - I'll suggest it at the vets if nothing comes of the tests. I've also got my eye on her back legs - the skin looks pink if i part the hair, but no problems yet. I've given her a good clean with wipes and trimmed the longer hair. What cream is good if she is irritated? Is the tea tree one from the pet shop ok? or a human gel/cream?

I'm off to work (nice and late - luckily i am flexible!) and will drop the sample off on the way. Ozzie is back in the hutch after being exiled while I waited for a sample from Rolo and he is snuggled up with her. He missed her :love:

My vets managed to get urine samples from Mary by pressing gently on his bladder at the vets - he went on the table and the vet could syringe it up.
I know with cats you can use a litter tray but replace the litter with fish gravel - it resembles a litter to them but doesn't absorb the wee

Thanks :wave: The vet was prodding down there on the bladder but they didn't try expressing anything. Maybe there wasn't enough? I'm not sure to be honest. I really really hope the sample is clean enough :roll:

Did the vet give you probiotics for her to take whilst she is on antibiotics? Well done for getting the sample. I used Sudocreme (a nappy cream) on the sore leg and the vet also gave me Fucidin when it was inflammed.

I already have probiotics in the water most fo the time as she's had so many antibiotics courses :rolleyes: Thanks for the advice on creams - i have vaseline already and I can get some sudocrem too no problems.
I suppose it's just a matter of waiting for the results and checking her skin everyday. Poor mite!

Back