• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Has anybody grown a 'rabbit garden'?

casu consulto

Mama Doe
I'm told I have too much time, but this 'project' of mine makes me feel all excited and happy. ^^

A few weeks ago now I was looking through the rabbit books I own, and looking at the list of 'rabbit friendly' plants. Our garden has surprisingly few dandelions in it, so when one of the few that does grow produced seeds, I gathered them up and grew some in a tray. And then I wrote out a long, long list [seriously, it's over two sides of A4] and set about finding a few of these plants to grow. Now my bedroom windowsill has turned into a plant nursery. :oops:

I also found that certain plants act as a natural fly repellant. :) So I have a few of those now, too. I bought an adult lavendar plant and placed it in a pot, next to my bunny's hutch. And I'm growing some larkspur and nigella - both of these are poisonous to bunnies, so they're strictly out of reach. But I'm hoping they'll act as they're meant to and keep flies away.

So far my back yard - which is where the bunnie's hutch is - is all concrete, so was quite bare. Now there are pots of geraniums, stocks, lavendar, nasturium and parsley. Has anyone else ever done anything like this?

I'm hoping (if we get a day rain-free enough for me to clear the area!) to plant the area outside the animal shed with the herbal grass I got off Ebay ages ago so I can section it off and let the buns out in it, and I've got some pak choi, curly kale and sprouting brocolli seeds to attempt to grow. If any of this works I'm gonna try a few different veggies I think! I'm not greenfingered though :lol:

So far my back yard - which is where the bunnie's hutch is - is all concrete, so was quite bare. Now there are pots of geraniums, stocks, lavendar, nasturium and parsley. Has anyone else ever done anything like this?
https://www.thehayexperts.com/index.php?cPath=16&osCsid=1f7b9c03147e27858041586fb99f5428

I'm growing both these products and have to have it on a crop rotation system as it's much enjoyed.. I have posted numerous pics of my "potty bunnies" who enjoy everythig I grow in pots e.g. strawberries, basil, carrots, parsley, rocket, roses. to name a few

I think it's a fab idea, we have 2 lavendar trees that are just for Bertie to dig in & eat. I grow Basil, mint & parsley in pots in the Kitchen ( In a flat, no garden), and I'm thinking of making a growing area & dig pit in a corner of my balcony for more. Go for it!

i started off on a windowsill now have a babay greehouse, growing basil, parsley, rocket, treat greens, bean sprouts (both from hay experts) spinach, tomatoes, broccoli, nastertiums, carrots, kale ummm im sure there is something else but i forget. only problem is since the rain has been bad the snails have all migrated to the greenhouse :x so will probably do the best i can with what we have this year and start again at some point and get some copper or something to stop the snails. :roll:

good luck with growing your bunny goodies :D

we moved into our house at christmas and just had a bare lawn.

since then i've stuck to the rabbit friendly principle (apart from an incident involving highly toxic tomato plants - now grown in hanging baskets :lol: )

gail wont let me dig a border but we have a patio with tubs of marigolds, nasturtiums and some geraniums. i am also growing extra supplies of marigolds and nasturtiums in the greenhouse. we have a huge wooden trough full of them too with a rose bush (that the bunnies have wrecked already)

im growing dandelion and herbs and rockets in pots too plus tomatoes (out of the way) and courgettes. i grow herbs in tubs on the bunnies windowsills too and just give them a pot each week as a treat.

we also bought a blackberry bush and put that in a really large pot - it has come in handy already with 2 of the bunnies having gi stasis - the blackberry leaves seemed to get them going to the loo again

we've got lavender in baskets on the fence too to repel the flies when bunnies are in the gardens. we have strawberries in baskets too and the bunnies love the leaves.

i am growing fuschias but these are in hanging baskets out of the way, and sweetpeas but again the bunnies cant get to them.

next year im planning on getting a proper veg plot sorted so i can grow more for the bunnies.

You e no idea how happy this makes me! :D My family consider me a bit rabbit obsessed because of my growing these plants everywhere... Even my poor mum, trying to be understanding, sometimes looks a bit baffled. I'm so glad I'm not the only one to grow an entire range of plants for the benefit of my bunny!

And blackberry leaves can help a rabbit in GI Stasis? I'll remember that!

I grow alot of different grasses, carrots, spinach, kale and mixed leaves for my crew. I find it very rewarding :D

I have a rabbit garden, Ive lived in 6 places now and always turn the garden into a rabbits heaven :D It was just plain lawn when I moved in last year and now its really flourishing, I have a wild area at the end where I just let nature take over, the rabbits adore it! Then the remainder of the garden is more cultivated although i allow most weeds to thrive (if the buns don't eat them first!) but have planted fruit canes/plants, herbs, grasses, roses and willow trees. Everyone that comes round thinks its gorgeous and it is! :D

I'm hoping to plant some bunny safe herbs round the edge of their run when I move so some of the leaves will grow in and they can nibble on them.

my bun gets more of our veg that I do. He's also having the barley leaves and stalks that have sprung up around the bird feeder. I originally let them grow because I though it was the sweetcorn I'd planted :roll: No sign of sweetcorn though. Think the birds must have eaten it.

We have a 12 foot Willow Tree we are growing in a pot for the day we move into a house with a garden plus about 15 troughs full of sunflower plants but like you we only have a backyard at the moment.

Neil

When we lost Maisey three years ago, we decided to plant up a big pot full of either rabbit loving or rabbit protecting plants ( fly repellants etc) 'Maisey's pot'. We moved it close to the hutches, put her photo in it so she was close to her children and it was full of all the things to help protect them and keep them healthy.:)

Back