• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Move to Scotland will I have to Loose my lovely bunnies :-(

Debs2811

Alpha Buck
Hi guys
I am in much need of some advice, I currently live in surrey but after hubby recently being made redundant we are looking for a life change and would dearly love to move to Scotland:) , however we have 5 house bunnies to consider in doing this. we have been doing some research and have been advised that we should rent a house while looking to buy a house, what we want some advice on is whether we would be able to take our bunnies into a rented accommodation, are the scottish more lenient on allowing pets? also we are worried about the long drive up there for them, will they be ok or will it all be too stressful. Ultimatly do I have to take a difficult decision to rehome my beloved bunnies?:(

Any advice from someone who has perhaps made a big move like this would be appreciated or any advice on dealing with this and making it a smooth change.

Thanks xx

When are you planning to move? If you book early then you may find a boarding service willing to do a deal on longer term boarding for a few months to make the move smoother.

It's not impossible to find a landlord that will accept pets but you'll need to get written permission and you might need to offer a slightly higher deposit to sweeten the deal - particularly if any of your buns live indoors.

Tam

Hi, I guess all you can do is ask each landlord :D if all else fails then look for long term boarding like Tamsin says.

I think they should cope okay on a long journey as long as they are kept cool and have lots of water.

If you are driving through Fife then you would be welcome to bring them in here to stretch their legs in the garden.

Where about in Scotland do you have in mind?

Best idea would be to 'keep them outside' in rented accomodation - you can always sneak them back in when the landlord's gone. If you look for somewhere with an outbuilding maybe?

Best idea would be to 'keep them outside' in rented accomodation - you can always sneak them back in when the landlord's gone. If you look for somewhere with an outbuilding maybe?

Naugty Elve!!! This is what i did when i first got our house, most of the buns are outside but we have one house bun and two chins. When they came to inspect last year i just put them in the shed for the day and then i asked them this yera for permission to have them in the house and they said yes.

well im not alowed my dog here she lives with my mum poor baby but i get to have caged animals well who says they have to be caged all the time :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not sure what area we are looking at, I have elderly relatives in the Midlothian area and an old friend in Falkirk, so we will probably look around central Scotland, somewhere with good transport links to Edinburgh and Glasgow for my husbands work.

I had already thought about keeping them outside preferably in a brick out building, garage or shed.

Can anyone from Scotland tell me if there is the same urban fox problem as there is down here in the south as that is my biggest worry with housing them outside, and the cold, as they are used to being in a heated bedroom in the winter!!!

Hi Debs :wave:

I think there are urban foxes in some areas, bigger towns and cities probably have more of a problem - not much different to the rest of the UK I would guess. I've never seen a fox where I live though :D

As for the cold, certainly where I live (on the mild, wet west coast), the cold hasn't been a problem over the last few winters - it's getter milder up here I think. We're usually a few degrees below the south of England with regards to temperature, but nothing drastic. Inland and more northern areas tend to be a bit colder in the winter.

When I had outdoor bunnies I always found they coped much better with the cold (as long as they had plenty of hay and straw to insulate the hutch) than with the heat.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Anyone got any suggestions for good/bad areas of Central Scotland to live? We want to aim for a move in about 6 months time, obviously we need to sell up down here first and that will take some consideration as we dont know how people will take to looking around to buy our house with 5 buns in one of the bedrooms!!!!!

any more advice for taking the buns on the long drive up to Scotland?

Perthshire is a beautiful area, and fairly central for travel to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Stirling, Dundee etc :wave:

yay what a brilliant idea to move to Scotland:D :thumb:.
I think the buns would be fine, like everyone said lots of fresh air and water.

The fox problem where i am isnt big, none around here that i know of, i stay in a town but there is woods 5mins up road and none.

We have rented from the council and they say.. no pets:roll: we have 2 dogs, 1 cat 1 hamster 1 rabbit and 1 bird so ya'no:lol: . They should be fine outside with anice run and space to play.

Good luck xx

Hello there. I live just outside of Falkirk!! yay! TBH, I haven't seen any urban foxes where I am I see A LOT more in Edinburgh where I work, often just casually strolling around. But obviously that doesn't mean there isn't a problem here.. I suppose it depends on whether you are rural or not, but of course I've just said I see more in Edinburgh :?

P.S. Nicole from here also lives in Falkirk and has brill pet supplies etc. Just to tempt you

every house that I've rented has said 'no pets', hwever, when I actually ask the landlord I've been allowed to have my 2 dogs... Don't dismiss a property that states 'no pets', it's always worth asking :D

Hello there. I live just outside of Falkirk!! yay! TBH, I haven't seen any urban foxes where I am I see A LOT more in Edinburgh where I work, often just casually strolling around. But obviously that doesn't mean there isn't a problem here.. I suppose it depends on whether you are rural or not, but of course I've just said I see more in Edinburgh :?

P.S. Nicole from here also lives in Falkirk and has brill pet supplies etc. Just to tempt you

Thanks Fionabun:wave: , Falkirk is actually one of the places we are thinking of, I have an old School Friend who I have recently got back in touch with and she lives in Denny. Im so looking forward to moving up there it feels so much like home to me but then my father was born there and his family is scottish going back many hundreds of years so I guess its in the blood :lol: LOL. Me and hubby are actually going up for a visit in about 10 days to do some scouting around at houses, areas, jobs etc, and to visit family and friends of course, we have a pet sitter for the buns while we are away but im going to miss them anyway:roll:

Thanks Fionabun:wave: , Falkirk is actually one of the places we are thinking of, I have an old School Friend who I have recently got back in touch with and she lives in Denny. Im so looking forward to moving up there it feels so much like home to me but then my father was born there and his family is scottish going back many hundreds of years so I guess its in the blood :lol: LOL. Me and hubby are actually going up for a visit in about 10 days to do some scouting around at houses, areas, jobs etc, and to visit family and friends of course, we have a pet sitter for the buns while we are away but im going to miss them anyway:roll:

Hello again. best place for houses in Falkirk area for buying and renting seems to be www.rightmove.co.uk. The outlying areas are nice too. Denny is really coming on as an area. I live in Carronshore. Pm me if you want to stop by!Good sites for jobs up here is www.s1jobs.com

Perthshire was my stomping ground and I went to teacher training college in Falkirk( Callendar Park used to be a teacher training college in the 70's). There are loads of gorgeous places around that area, though I think I'd opt for Stirling..picturesque parts and steeped in history. A bit further North is Bridge-of -Allan, Dunblane(my home town) and even Doune or Callander..though once you go north of Dunblane the public transport system isn't so hot....(may have changed though!)

Back