• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Head/brick wall!!

capel

Warren Veteran
It's not often that I'm left speechless...but yesterday...:evil: :evil:
I was in the local garden centre lurking by the rabbits ready to pounce on mums wanting to shut up their rugrats by buying a bunny. I started talking to one one and managed to get the bit in about having a pair, the expense of a decent hutch, vaccinations etc and she said "Why bother as they only live about 5 yrs anyway?". When I said that with proper care(and a bit of luck!!) they can live as long as 10 yrs and beyond she was aghast and said who'd want to have rabbit that long..she just wanted one to last a couple of years until he was big enough to get a dog!!! I hope my look of disgust registered, but somehow I doubt it! :(

youve goit to remember that the silly people who do that are remembering back 10 years ago when people gave rabbits to 3 year olds etc. horrid people but they'll not change. A pet to them is for xmas, not for life like out babies xx

:cry: You should need a licence to adopt a bunny or any animal. I watch the Animal channel and on their Rescue shows so many older dogs are dumped with the shelters because they want to go for a "puppy" again which is less vet bills etc. It breaks my heart :cry: :cry: :cry:

Pond life! Actually that's insulting to frogs and newts :lol: !

Neil

Yes it is, my newts, fish and pond life in general are lovely things!

I had the same tonight! A woman rang me and said she'd been given my number by the vets as she was looking for a rabbit, i said oh yes, and she then went on to tell me that it was for her daughters birthday in two weeks, so i went on about life spans and how they are not in the most part cuddely animals and prefer gental stroking rather than being halled about and about vaccinations and possible health problems and what to feed and hutches ect ect, and then suggested by the end of the conversation that if her daughter really wanted abun she could come here and meet mine and she what she thougt, and i suggested to her that she do some research, and then she said oh but i though you bred them , and i went no, and then proceded to tell her about rescue and how many rabbits there were in rescues ect ect, she said she'd ring me if her daughter wanted to come over and meet the buns, i somehow doubt i will be hearing from her!

I ouldn't hold your breath.

i agree romy, you should have to have a licence as they are so special and should only go to homes which are going to care for them.

weve had rabs all my life and i can't imagine lide wihout them. My two are so special and the ones my parents had were gorgeous. people need to think so seriously. if i did not have the time or money for thier whole life, i would not have taken my two on x

... Y'know, people like that baffle me.
I hate that people look upon rabbits as a sub-standard cat or dog. And that they're treated as though they're disposable. Or that if the rabbit is not one of the minority who enjoy being handled, then they're considered somehow a 'bad pet' and either ignored or handed to a rescue. I don't see how someone could NOT want to vaccinate their rabbit. :( It's just... so confusing.

People do so disgust me :evil:

It really does tick me off to see how people think of buns as couple-year pets.. and even more when they are disappointed to find out they actually live LONGER than that!!!!! :censored: :censored: :censored:

I was adopting out a chinchilla once, and had a very interested party.. she thought they lived 3 years. I told her 7 to 15, and she went ape****, said "oh well I didn't want it to live THAT long!"

WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?!!!?

that is awful!! some people really don't get the whole picture. :no:

I will say, however, at first the idea of spaying/ neutering a rabbit or even getting it's jabs was appalling at first. To spend that amount of money on something that small and (please please forgive me :oops: ) useless and stupid made me wonder. Also, living in a rural community with loads of farmers who feel that rabbits are the most useless pets around didn't help.
:evil:

BUT once i got a rabbit... I understood it all :love: :love: :love: :love:

Back