• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New baby not well U/D 07/07

bunmadmum

Young Bun
Coming out of the petshop on Wed when I went to get food - I bumped into a lady with a 3 or 4 year old little girl. In a plastic packet she had a baby lion head who the vet says is 6-8 weeks old. I asked what she was doing with the baby and she said taking it to the petshop as her daughter doesnt want it anymore as it doesnt do anything!!:shock: She said her daughter wanted a kitten instead. She went and got a kitten and was keeping the bunny and kitten together!!!!:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

She gave me the baby quite willingly and and I took him home. Vet check said all was well, just a bit young. On Monday evening when I checked on him he had very runny poos, mucous and pin worms. I rushed him off to the vet. Vet treated him and he is sort of stable now at home. I am just doing all the usual things to rehydrate, feed, syringe feed etc when needed. His is sitting on a hotwater bottle at the moment and he could really do with some vibes/prayers. I am very worried and the vet said we are doing all the right things. Just to persevere and keep things going long enough to get the panacur to start doing its job. He is so little he fits in the palm of my hand.

What was that insane lady thinking?????

Last edited:
Heres the baby before he wasnt feeling too well.
Picture169.jpg

....waiting desperately for a poo.... even one little poo will do!

the day we got our rabbits they did not poo. not much anyway. but now they are absolutly fine. eating loads!!

Coming out of the petshop on Wed when I went to get food - I bumped into a lady with a 3 or 4 year old little girl. In a plastic packet she had a baby lion head who the vet says is 6-8 weeks old. I asked what she was doing with the baby and she said taking it to the petshop as her daughter doesnt want it anymore as it doesnt do anything!!:shock: She said her daughter wanted a kitten instead. She went and got a kitten and was keeping the bunny and kitten together!!!!:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

What was that insane lady thinking?????
It doesn't do anything :censored: what was she expecting... jumping through hoops perchance :censored: it's not a performing circus animal (not that I agree with those :evil: ) well done for taking it on and keep us posted on it's progress

He's adorable.
I get so irritated when people treat rabbits that way... When they call them boring, I always want to demand sarcastically which they thought a rabbit would behave more like, a cat or a dog? Obviously a rabbit will be like neither, as it is a rabbit. :? But many people, especially children, feel they should be more exciting and end up wanting to ignore/get rid of the rabbit when it fails to meet their expectations.

I hope he gets well soon!

Aww he looks just like Kitten [except she is a bit bigger - I thought she was the smallest bunny ever, damn! :lol:]

I hope he feels better soon!

If she's sick of the baby when it's 6-8 weeks old how early did she get it?:shock:
This is one of the reasons I wished pet stores didn't sell animals, a serious breeder would never sell a rabbit to such people:evil:

he is a beauty, keep up with the love and care you are giving him. you cant blame the child, its the parents fault giving into their childrens demands!!

He's a little sweetheart, fingers crossed he makes it....after all he's got a mum who loves him now :D

What a cutie!:love:
I hope he'll recover, but anyway, he was lucky to find someone caring to love him, the poor one!:)
Some people should really be forbidden to buy animals! What was that :censored: woman thinking? That maybe he would behave like a circus monkey???:evil: :evil:
Anyway, good vibes on here! ))))))))))))
Hope these will work!;)

New baby not well - u/date 04/07 9:40

Baby is still with us. A few poos today - sticky ones but at least something. He is a bit brighter tonight and ate some of his pellet mix on his own. He did eat some hay as well. I have been syringe feeding his pellet mix with boiled cooled water and pedalyte hydrating mix and he is hanging in there. I am still giving him the pain meds and we will see what tonight brings.

I have to say I am getting pretty tired. I am doing the night shift and hubby is coming home from work every 2 hours or so to do the day shift. - I work too far away otherwise I would come home myself but it seems we are doing something right as he seems to be gradually getting better. My 15 year old son wants to keep him and has named him Simba.

New baby not well U/D 07/07 7:38

What a week this has been. Back and forth to the vet with the baby and I did not think I would have believed that he would survive with no poos in 3 days. I checked through the hay stalk by stalk to be sure and there was really not one. He did have a small sticky poo stuck to his bum on the 3rd day and that was the first. I just carried on with the syringe feeding (after the vet had confirmed that there was no blockage) and eventually resorted to putting hay in the blender and mixing it with a bit of the rehydration mix to try and get some hay in him.

Today he is much better some sticky soft poos are in the litter box and he is eating on his own now. He is so much brighter and active today. What a relief.

In the middle of this stressful week I had someone drop off 2 very badly neglected rat girls. One with a huge hernia and head tilt and the other with asthma, hairloss and scabs on her back. What a pair. I really couldnt turn them away so they have joined the happy household. It took hours of work to try and clean the cage. They have had them 2 years and the son who got them moved out and didnt take them. The cage has not been cleaned in months and they were in about 10 inches of wet pine sawdust. I am sure that helped with the asthma.....NOT!!! I have decided to let them live out the rest of their days in luxury in my rat-palace. They are digging into a bowl of oat porridge as I type.

Back