• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Which Lop is the biggest

bunniesbarnbabe

Warren Scout
Which breed of lop is the biggest, dwarf, german or french. me and a friend are having a discussion and i say its the french - thanks

both French lops and English lops are Large rabbits im not sure which ones larger though as ive never seem either of these rabbits in real life :oops:

Dwarf lop is smallest - fairly average sized bunny. German lop is a large bunny but french is quite a lot bigger, being, I believe, the largest of the large rabbits but not quite a giant.

Frenchies are definitely biggest.
My friend once had an accidental breeding where one of her french lop males bred with a lop dwarf female:shock:
By the time the kits were 8 weeks they were as big as their mom:lol: I saw a picture once where all the babies were nursing, just a bunch of big bunnnies on their backs and the tiny mother on top:lol:

We had a gorgeous German Lop boarding with us last week, she was a big lass but an absolute sweetie and the most gorgeous temperament, made lovely little noises just like a guinea pig when I was giving her a cuddle and a groom. Here she is
mokey3small.jpg

mokey2small.jpg

She is yes and a credit to her owners, she is in beautiful condition and was obviously used to being regularly handled. I hope she comes to see us again as she was a pleasure to bunny sit:)

I've seen many French lops here and indeed, they were nearly as large as Flemish Giants! They are really lovely buns on top of that, even if a bit temperamental sometimes.;)

We had a gorgeous German Lop boarding with us last week, she was a big lass but an absolute sweetie and the most gorgeous temperament, made lovely little noises just like a guinea pig when I was giving her a cuddle and a groom. Here she is
mokey3small.jpg

mokey2small.jpg

Typical German Lop then! They do have the most fabulous temprements and make wonderful pets :D

Standardised Lop Breeds in order of size:
French lop - Minimum of 10lb - 15lb is desirable
Meissner Lop (bet not many of you have heard of this one! ;) ) - Max 12lb
English Lop - 'as large as possible' typically about 10lb I believe
German Lop - Max 8lb 8oz
Dwarf Lop - Max 5lb 4oz
Cashmere Lop - Max 5lb 4oz
Mini Lop - Max 3lb 8oz
Mini Cashmere Lop - Max 3lb 8oz
Mini Lion Lop - Max 3lb 8oz

Of course there are lots of unstandardised breeds too, like Velveteens, Plushes etc etc

HTH

so for those that don't do pounds :lol: that would be

french 4.5-6.8kg
german upto 4.0kg
english upto 4,5kg
dwarf upto 2.5kg (seems a bit small? :? )
Mini 1.72kg

I read on a website that English lops weigh between 5-5.5kg and french lops weigh at least 4.5kg so maybe in some cases the french lop is the biggest and in others it is the english?!?!? :? I have a french lop I haven't had her weighed though
SV400100.jpg

SV400075.jpg

Esther x

ive heard of a meissner lop but they dont seem as cute as geman lops f which ive been told there are giant versions?
ha have to work in metric in the vets..convert when i get home!
I had a dwarf lop who weighed in at 4lb and the vet went nuts at her weight..we discovered its cos she was eating the cats food when noone was looking..:oops:

Bif is overweight at 2.75kg..shes not lost any but not put any on either..she gained the weight by being fed the allotted amount of science selective AND oscars.she had 2 months of eatig asap in case she got starved again:(

Bertie was 10lb when i got him and he was 18 months old. He then went up to 15lb!! good ole science selective and living indoors!! hes almost back down to 10lb again and petra the vet is very happy he is..

willow was almost 4kg when she was there before being spayed..i hate to think what she is now!! shes as big as bertie!! frenchies..huge gentle giants of the bunny world she said..i agree.

woozle was about 3lb to 4lb and he was about the size of a dwarf lop.

oscar was about 2lb and a mini lop..rat baby lol!:lol:

ive heard of a meissner lop but they dont seem as cute as geman lops f which ive been told there are giant versions?ha have to work in metric in the vets..convert when i get home!
I had a dwarf lop who weighed in at 4lb and the vet went nuts at her weight..we discovered its cos she was eating the cats food when noone was looking..:oops:
Bif is overweight at 2.75kg..shes not lost any but not put any on either..she gained the weight by being fed the allotted amount of science selective AND oscars.she had 2 months of eatig asap in case she got starved again:(

Bertie was 10lb when i got him and he was 18 months old. He then went up to 15lb!! good ole science selective and living indoors!! hes almost back down to 10lb again and petra the vet is very happy he is..

willow was almost 4kg when she was there before being spayed..i hate to think what she is now!! shes as big as bertie!! frenchies..huge gentle giants of the bunny world she said..i agree.

woozle was about 3lb to 4lb and he was about the size of a dwarf lop.

oscar was about 2lb and a mini lop..rat baby lol!:lol:

Meissners are not Giant German Lops, Meissner lops have big long bodies with a 'mandolin' arch to the body - they're not chunky like a german or french, very long faces and gorgeous fur which is all ticked with white hairs throughout. Stunning animals, one day when I have lots of room *dreams* - these are SO rare in the UK, only 3 or 4 breeders have them.

4lb would be underweight for a Dwarf Lop - 4lb 8 is the ideal weight but you never see any that small on the show bench, they're all hitting 5lb 4oz.

3lb - 4lb is more mini lop size than Dwarf Lop, unless again he was very underweight.

Last edited:
I read on a website that English lops weigh between 5-5.5kg and french lops weigh at least 4.5kg so maybe in some cases the french lop is the biggest and in others it is the english?!?!? :? I have a french lop I haven't had her weighed though
SV400100.jpg

SV400075.jpg

Esther x

English Lops may weigh more at times, because they are solid muscle, and we all know muscle weighs more than fat. I've never known an English Lop bigger than 10lb though.

French lops are physically bigger because they are big chunky rabbits, whereas English lops are sleeker and more 'streamlined'. A typical show French Lop should be 15lb.

Meissner Lop (bet not many of you have heard of this one! ;) ) - Max 12lb

HTH

I have seen a picture of the gorgeous meissner lop:love: :love: :love: would love one but are extremely rare so the book said, tried to google search for one but got nothing:( are there still breeders out there that breed this rare beauty?

Back