• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

EC, panacur and new buns

lucycat

Warren Scout
I have decided to get a new friend for Silky (erm and me).
Silky is nearly 3 weeks into preventative panacur as Dylan died from EC.

The vet advised me to treat her and any new bunny for 28 days and then 9 days 4 x a year.

I have spoken to a few rescues and advice varies from dont adopt until shes finished her course to most rabbits have it anyway to dont treat 4 times a year as they get resistant.

What I dont want is to have to go through what Dylan did but I cant see how despite mega disinfecting their cage and throwing dilute disinfectant around their run what Im supposed to do. Its all conflicting.

I dont think she should spend her time alone though.

Finish her treatment, make sure any new bunny has had a recent 9 day course and then bond.....the hutch will need disinfecting before they can share anyway to make it neutral and a bleach solution kills EC or you can use Virkon disinfectant.

4 yearly is too often and unnecessary.....once annually unless there is a new rabbit introduced or one escapes etc. is adequate. Alternativley if they are prone to actual internal worms then 6 monthly should suffice.

Back