• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding wild bunny advice

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
Hi everyone

My little wild bunny is 12 weeks old this week. I want to eventually bond her with another bunny (or two!) and move them outside in a shed/run.

Obviously she can't be spayed until 5 (?) months so she won't (i presume) be able to bond with another bunny until after this. I don't want to move her outside on her own (shes still so tiny she'd be terrified) so will have to keep her inside for a few more months.

I am getting confused over what I should do re bonding. Should I bond her with another wild bunny (animals in need near me apparently have some wild babies) or a domestic bunny (obviously small breed as I've read wild bunnies are smaller than domestics?).

If I do aquire another wild bunny my thought would be to get one now while its still young so it gets used to me first and forms a bond rather than it being much older and 'wild'. not that I begrudge it being wild of course, but I have a lovely bond with spudsey my wild bunny she even licks my neck/nose/hands etc and sits on me for ages.

help!!!

As she is female you can bond her before she is spayed but if it's a male bun your bonding her with ensure he has been neutered. As for wether to bond her with a wild or domestic bun that is entirly up to you. I have 3 half wild buns, one lives with his partner who is adomestic and two are brothers who live together and have a domestic grilfriend, so any bond can work with them. Size also doesn't matter, Arthur is very small indeed but Pan his partner, is an Old English bun as is about 3 times bigger than he is!

I read yesterday in a rwa leaflet that rabbits up to 12 weeks of age can be put together straight away without bonding? obviously the male would have to then be neutered and kept separate from the female at a later date.

there are some baby wild ones near me at a rescue.

Males can be fertile from 10 weeks so you'd need to be careful what sexes you were mixing. Young babies are easy to mix as they don't have their hormones.

Rabbits can be neutered from 12 weeks with an experienced vet but because wild rabbits are so small they probably wouldn't do those so early.

Best option would probably be to get an already neutered male otherwise you have to wait several weeks after neutering to ensure he's not still fertile (unless the females neutered). That way you can also check they get on rather than waiting x weeks to get them both ready and then finding you don't have a match and ending up with two separate rabbits.

Tam

thanks for that tam, have you still got your little wild one?

do you think it would be ok to get a neutered male now and introduce them both whilst spudsey is still inside but for the male to live outside until their shed/run etc is ready?

awwww i think i'm just excited about getting another bunny and can't wait!!!:)

:lol: Yep, he's still here and causing mayhem. I just finished off baracading the kitchen doorway for the third time. He keep breaking out and disappearing to explore.

There isn't really much point to introducing them until you can put them in together. It's best to wait until you've got a free weekend and do it all in one go. You could get a male now and bond them with him living inside with her for now or keep them separate or just wait until the outside accommodation is ready then get him and do the bonding and pop them together in the nice neutral new space.

It might take awhile for the homechecks and finding the right bun, if you're going through a rescue, so you could certainly start looking now for the right bun :)

Back