• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescues in Somerset

WalnutEarth626

Alpha Buck
Can anyone recommend any Rescues in Somerset?? A friend of mine bought 2 female netherland dwarfs from a petshop, the first one she took to the vet cos it was walking funny, turns out its leg was deformed so the vet had to PTS. The second Nethie's eye was weeping constantly, so she took this one to the vet and it has a deformed eyelid and it couldn't shut. The vet said he could operate but there was no guarantee it would be successful so it would be kindest to put the rabbit down, so she sadly did. :censored: pet shops!!

I recommended if she wants 2 to live together to go to a rescue, I did a search on RR for rabbits in Somerset and came across this gorgeous pair:

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=8796

But I think she might want to stick to Nethies.

So can anyone recommend any rescues in Somerset?

We have the two nethie girls who are having their teeth removed on thursday!:D distance isn't a problem......
edited to add..why did a deformed leg mean PTS???

Last edited:
We have the two nethie girls who are having their teeth removed on thursday!:D distance isn't a problem......
edited to add..why did a deformed leg mean PTS???

No idea - haven't seen the rabbits or spoken to the vet or owner, this is all via a work collegue. However I am sure both Owner (who has had rabbits for years) and Vet made an informed decision based on the animals welfare. I'd rather not start another debate on deformed rabbits please!

I think the issue of the deformity might be important to a rescue. I don't think they'd want their rabbits to be PTS unless it was absolutely necessary.

Amy

PLEASE can we not turn this into a debate about deformities again! Some people wouldn't keep a deformed animal alive, myself being one of them. As I say I don't know the circumstances or how deformed this rabbit was.

Now I can either point her in the direction of a rescue, which is what i'd rather do, but I do also have friends that are responsible breeders in that area too, and I can always point her in that direction if it turns out to be easier!!

Now, any helpful comments about rescues in Somerset??

Here: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp#Somerset (hope link works)

I think to have one bunny PTS is unlucky, but two is a bit odd. I'm no vet, but I'm guessing that at worst the rabbit with the poorly eye could have had the eye removed and stitched up :?: (or was it both eyes?)

If she wants 'perfect' rabbits, then I wouldn't advise her to get NDs. They're know for having dental problems.

Now I can either point her in the direction of a rescue, which is what i'd rather do, but I do also have friends that are responsible breeders in that area too, and I can always point her in that direction if it turns out to be easier!!

What is the point of that comment other than to get the backs up of members here who are against breeding? :?

Let's not turn this in to an argument please.

If you have an issue with another members post contact admin.

Tam

I didn't as about the leg to be horrid. or make a point..was just wondering what the bun had wrong with it...
If your friend searches RR she should find some rabbits near enough to home

What is the point of that comment other than to get the backs up of members here who are against breeding? :?

To make the point that here I am, asking for advice on rescues, but then getting flack and critiscm from other members of this forum. Is it any wonder people buy from breeders and petshops when this is the response they get given? I am a breeder, and could have just pointed this woman straight to a breeding friend of mine, but here I am asking advice instead. Maybe next time I won't bother.

Many thanks to those of you that have posted the link to the Somerset rescues, I will forward those details on - many thanks! :D

And the point I'm trying to make is that if your friend tells the rescue about what happened to her previous rabbits, they might not want to rehome to her. It depends on the individual rescue.

If breeders let their rabbits go so freely without questioning the care of the new owner, then shame on them :evil:

And the point I'm trying to make is that if your friend tells the rescue about what happened to her previous rabbits, they might not want to rehome to her. It depends on the individual rescue.

If breeders let their rabbits go so freely without questioning the care of the new owner, then shame on them :evil:

Very true they may not, but that something she needs to discuss with the rescues, not something to be debated on here when no one knows the full facts, details and circumstances - including myself.

Walnut earth, I am sure you have your reasons for not wanting to discuss why a deformed rabbit was pts. I guess, in hindsight, you could have simply come on and asked about rescues in Somerset and not given any history on the previous rabbits, which would have avoided any questions or interest from us. Unfortunately, the forum is read by many people who might think now that because a bunny is deformed, the only option would be pts. I think its important for people to realize that bunnies can live very productive lives with quite deformed limbs. Jay from Ebony Eyes rehomes such rabbits, who go on to live wonderful lives. I think its unrealistic to expect none of us to mention this or to comment about facts you yourself told us.

All of the rescues in Somerset are listed on the site and your friend can contact one of these if she wishes.

Back