• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I had a choice of 4 bunnies to adopt, now I have none.

casu consulto

Mama Doe
I'm a bit miserable today.

Last Saturday we went to an animal sanctuary to look at the rabbits there. I got my Barney-bunny from there just over a year ago, and this year we thought we'd get him a girlfriend. ^-^ I used to own two rabbits, and wanted to again. Anyway, when we got there I quickly realised that they have very few spayed females, but one of the females they DID have was a small blue/grey and white Dutch doe. She was 'not for rehoming' and when we asked why, we were told that they had thought she might be pregnant. The man in charge of the 'rabbit warren' area told us they now doubted this, as they'd had her two weeks... I dunno what that proved. He then took us into a stable-type area where there were another three female Dutch rabbits who looked like her, and told us they were reserved pending a home visit. He said this home visit would probably mean the people wanting them were rejected, as they would be living in a pub garden with people drinking and possibly dogs. He said they'd phone today, after the vet had been, to tell us about the tubby doe.

Well, they didn't phone all day, so we phoned them. and apparently the rounded little Dutch doe IS pregnant, and so won't be available for about 10 weeks. And those other three Dutch does are all going to the pub garden. I'd sort of had my heart set on getting a Dutch doe, too. And the only other neutured females they have there are a 3 year old lionhead named 'Grumpy', who they say is VERY grumpy. And a pretty lop named Esmerelda who is also quite unfriendly.

I so wanted to get Barney a friend. :(

Perhaps Barney wouldn't have liked the dutches anyway :)

You could give Esmerelda or Grumpy a home and win them round with lots of patience and love :D And they may be calmer and friendler just through having a friend :D

And it would be a good deed giving one of them a home, as they'll probably be waiting ages if they've got 'issues'.

Hiya :wave: Have you tried Bunnyhops in Bolton? Kay normally has a few does available and they are always spayed before rehoming. She's kayj on here if you want to pm her to see who she has available. There is also Elaine in Tameside who has lots of bunnies in at the moment

Elaine at Tameside? : I was looking at her website before! Is she on here? Oooh, this forum is great! And to think I only found it the other day!

Thank ye for the suggestions. ^-^ I've spent a few hours feeling very defeatist and sad... Then I started looking for rabbit rescue places in my area, and found a few. But one scared me half to death with the adoption procedure, so I went all down again... It's like a roller coaster.

I've adopted from kayj and she's lovely, not scary at all :lol: Other people have adopted from Elaine too although I know she doesn't do bonding whereas kay will. Why don't you contact both and see what does they have and see if any 'call' to you?

I would try some other rescues in your area, too. You can find a list of them on the main website. I adopted my Snoopy from Kayj last year, she is very nice and helpful. :D

I DO live with a dramaqueen... My rabbit, Barney, deserves an Oscar for his acting ability. If I don't give him his own way, he can act ill and pretend it to such a degree I end up sick with worry. I've actually crept up on him when he tried this, and found him doing binkies when he thought I wasn't watching, only to see me and instantly stop, flop down and look sad. :)

And I must have looked at Clover about 6 times. ^-^ I keep going back to look.

I've seen her before and thought what a gorgeous face she has! I've heard that rescue is good too

I DO live with a dramaqueen... My rabbit, Barney, deserves an Oscar for his acting ability. If I don't give him his own way, he can act ill and pretend it to such a degree I end up sick with worry. I've actually crept up on him when he tried this, and found him doing binkies when he thought I wasn't watching, only to see me and instantly stop, flop down and look sad. :)
:lol: :lol: :lol: Awww bless.

He only does it so I fuss over him and try and tempt him with bits of carrot... I think he likes the attention. I just never appreciate the scare it gives me.

And she does have a nice face, it's true.

He only does it so I fuss over him and try and tempt him with bits of carrot... I think he likes the attention. I just never appreciate the scare it gives me.

And she does have a nice face, it's true.

And they say she's friendly. Poor thing has been waiting for a home for 8 months. :(

Back