• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutered buck with unspeyed doe

Rex Rabbity

Warren Scout
My neutered buck Flopsy has a new companion. We sadly lost his old companion Willow recently :cry: :cry: His new mate is Millie, she is a 2 year old breeders ex show stock black Rex doe. She is lovely, very good to handle and in very good condition.

The bonding process began in the usual way on neutral territory. It took alot longer than with Willow, she was VERY dominating over him and was humping HIM all the time. After several days, this died down, but now after 2 weeks together, she still humps him every now and again and I feel that Flopsy is really dominated by her. She often lays cross ways on him, putting her feet on his back and pinning him down. They do groom each other and have really settled down, but she often nudges him under his bum to move him and she tries to hump him.

Because she was a breeding stock show doe, she was only introduced to bucks for mating. She has had 2 previous litters. I was wondering whether having her spayed might calm her down. Willow was already spayed when we got her, she was a rescue bun. Flopsy did all the chasing with her.

I don't know what to do for the best. Should I leave them? I don't want Flopsy to have a hard life, but on the other hand, I don't want to risk Millie having an invasive, dangerous operation, hoping that it might help the situation...

Last edited:
Well I think it's a good idea to get her spayed anyway as a large proportion of female bunnies will get uterine cancer by the age of 5 if they are left unspayed! It should calm her down too, but you'll have to let her recover before introducing them again.

I was told that does not having litters were much more prone to uterine cancer than ones that did not have any. I don't know how true this is.

I was told that does not having litters were much more prone to uterine cancer than ones that did not have any. I don't know how true this is.

It is not true. I have had a few ex-breeding Rexes who have had multiple litters and when I got them spayed they ALL had an adenocarcinoma insitu.
For health and psychological welfare reasons I'd DEFINATELY get her spayed

Janex

Hi,

I would definitely reccommend getting her neutered.

We are going through a bonding process at the moment. We had 2 male bonded bunnies unfortunately we lost one recently, so we decided to try and introduce a girl bunny to Frizby ( our neutered male).

We got a rescue 1 year old unspeyed female, who was called Rosie but is now Rockie as when we first got her she used to box your hand if you tried to take her food bowl, but never bit.

Rockie tried to dominate over Frizby mounting, nipping fluff pulling and we thought we'll get her neutered as we heard it calms them down, and Frizby is such a laid back bun we were worried about him!

Anyway she was neutered about 2 weeks ago, and yesterday was the first time since the op we put them back together again ( after the vets all clear on her stitches) and Rockie was so much better, she doesn't box us anymore, she is happy for Frizby to groom her and she grooms him, there was a little bit of nipping but it only happened right at the beginning.

Its hard to describe the feeling, I remember thinking neutering will never calm this crazy bun down, but it has and she is just the sweetest bunny girl I have ever met!

So I'd say its definitely worth speying.

If you do decide to get her spayed though, make sure she's in good condition, not overweight, and that you get a vet who's been to small animal conferences to update skills as rabbits are classed as 'exotics' due to thier delicate nature. At her age it might be a good idea to have some blood tests run and make sure her liver's functioning well too. It's a hard decision though - my 5 girls are still unspayed at 3 yrs old :?

Back