• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

despretly seeking guinea advice

theresa

Warren Veteran
i know this is a bunny forum, but i need advice about some piggies. iwas handed two female piggies, who happily live together. promptly gave birth a month ago. so man that had them must of run a boar with them at some point. what i need to know is feeding advice. ive tried every thing from wagg to guinea excel. to no avail. they have lashings and lashings of hay, the odd carrot and broc, fruit too. but what safe fruit n veg can they have. and what pellets do you use. thank u

Sounds like you're feeding them fine to me - what do you mean 'to no avail?'

Mine have a big handful of a mixture of Wagg and science selective guinea pig food, a small bit of brocolli, a slice of carrot (both are toxic in large amounts) and half a leaf of spring greens every day - not much compared to what most peeps give guinea pigs but I'm flat broke feeding 20 of them plus rabbits.

And of course lashings of hay - which they are mad about :D

feeding guineas

the guineas wont eat any type of pellets. tried the lot from the cheap to really expensive stuff. are they getting enough food with hay and veg . they always seem to ask for food. or are they trying it on. novice pig keeper and all that. when do babes leave mums. dont want no more piggy accidents

I kid you not it took me 6 WEEKS to swap my pigs from a cereal mix to pelleted food ! They are subborn little beggers, much worse than rabbits. I swapped mine to pellets on the instruction of my vet and added it 10% at a time and gradually increased it as you are suppose to. It was pointless because until there was only the pellets they didn't really start to eat it!!! Find a food you want them to eat and stick to it - they will come round ;)

piggies can be picky eaters, mine used to eat only the bits they liked and leave the rest

not sure what to suggest, as you need to ensure they have enough food and water to produce milk for the babies, so wouldn't advise trying to "force" them to eat the pellets just yet :roll:

No, but switching the foods all the time won't do them any good either :roll:

Maybe up their veg intake too just to be sure they are getting everything they need.

You need to seperate the males from the females at about 5 weeks.

Mine practically lived on grass whilest feeding pups, so make sure thye have access to a run, they'll be quite happy with this. Also get some vitamins to add to their water just as a back up. Some guineas just won't eat pellets, don't panic and don't force them, as long as they're getting hay, veg and grass they should be fine.

feeding pigs

its seems such a waste to me, they dont hardly touch the pellets, its all round their floor. its nothing like feeding my buns. they eat everything in front of them. thanks any way i shall keep at it.

My pigs eat me out of house and home!!! unlike little Oscar (my new netherland dwarf). Just give them time, don't give them many pellets and if they are anything like my pigs they will eat them off the floor esp if they are hungry! xxx

My piggies are on excel, but they won't eat their way through a bowlful - they will pick at it when and as they like. I would just pick one pellet and keep putting it in - they will probably come round eventually and they will be fine on hay and veg in the meantime.
And beware - baby boys will be able to get mum pregnant again from THREE WEEKS OLD so you must separate them then!

:shock: OH NO! Are you saying that all babies and the 2 adults are still living as a group? Have you sexed the babies yet? Are you sure both adults are female? Do you know the difference or know anyone who does? Guinea pigs mate at 3 WEEKS OLD :shock:

I think food is the least of your worries, but mine don't like pellets either, which is why I give them Wagg guinea pig crunch mix. Guinea pigs eat constantly, so they do need a dish of dry food full all the time.

My piggies are on excel, but they won't eat their way through a bowlful - they will pick at it when and as they like. I would just pick one pellet and keep putting it in - they will probably come round eventually and they will be fine on hay and veg in the meantime.
And beware - baby boys will be able to get mum pregnant again from THREE WEEKS OLD so you must separate them then!

Babies were born a month ago :(

Boy babies can also get their little sisters pregnant when girls are just 5 weeks old - you must seperate them as this is no doubt how your original pigs got pregnant.

Just an afterthought - pregnancy is 2 months in guinea pigs - very long as they are born fully formed. I do hope your girls aren't pregnant now! Please keep us informed :)

guineas

hope their not preggy again it was enough of a shock the first time,i took the babys out last week, its why i was asking, how old they should be. they were nearly a month old. oh no. just praying im not too late. poor guinea girls:shock:

im real worried now, i took the piggys on cause the bloke that had them , didnt have room. they were in a small wire cage open to all weathers. i thought id do them some good. they are sows as both had young. guess i,ll have to wait and see what happens now.fingers crossed every body

oh well hopefully if you took them out last week - fingers crossed :)

Don't forget to split brothers and sisters up this week too - sexing them isn't as hard as rabbits as the boys have an obvious little 'knob' at the top of a slit, whereas girls have like a Y shape on their 'bits'.

I'm no expert, but I don't think it's a dead cert that boys start humping their mum after 3 weeks, but that it's the earliest that it can happen. I think therefore the 3 weeks is a precaution. Really hoping you were quick enough.

Back