• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

People with dental bunnies a question... u/d on opal

oscarbunny

Warren Veteran
Did they have recurrent eye problems before the teeth problems? I think opal is going to end up a dental bun :cry:. I thought her eye problems had gone away after she had her tear ducts flushed... and was on a long course of eye drops... but now it is back in the other eye. Poor bun. She has to have an X-Ray :(.

Last edited:
I think eye problems can be a sign of the roots overgrowing (towards the eye sockets) but this would need to be confirmed with an x-ray. None of my dental buns had eye problems though

Yeah I've heard it is a 'sign' of dental problems. Poor Opal :cry:

Why does she have to have an x-ray? Can't they just look at her teeth and do them if necessary?

She has to have an x-ray as he teeth 'look' fine.. when the vet looked inside her mouth, but her teeth may be pressing on her eye something... causing the runny eye things... im not 100% sure what i am talking about... :roll:

more questions.... what is the process on having an x-ray done on a bun?? its not done under ga is it?? how many do they have done and is it dangerous?

My first rabbit, a Dutch doe named Benji [we thought she was male...] began with an eye problem. It went weepy, and whitish-yellow gunky stuff appeared. When we took her to the vet, we found out she had dental problems. On the plus side, she lived for quite a while after we discovered this. :) Though it did reoccur at several points during her life.

Joanne sorry Opal seems to have problems...we've never had to have an x ray done on a dental bunster?:?
have pm'd you

Last edited:
Just an update on Opal...
She has conjunctivitis in both eyes, and has had her tear ducts flushed again. The vet said her eyes arent really bad. She then had a look in her mouth and she does has some very tiny tiny spurs on her bottom teeth. At the moment she doesn't require a dental, but the eye problems are likely to be ongoing, and a dental is likely in the future. :cry: .

oh dear... doesn't sound too bad though and at least she has you to look after her! sending nose-rubs (for Opal, not you!)...

Sorry to hear that. :( Popsel recently had a wet eye, too, and did not want to eat the hard bits of his food. The vet found a sore tooth. Now he's doing ok again. It's strange that teeth and eyes are so connected.

Back