• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Yuck in the Excel!

isla

Mama Doe
I was sitting on my bed, sorting out the rabbit food. I opened up the excel, and there were loads of moths in it! All flaping aound, and loads of not yet moths all wriggling and making the pellets move. It was my own personal horror movie in an Excel bag. Yuck!

Ahh, quick! Make sure you keep the food in an airtight tub (or put it in a bag and whack it in the freezer) and squish any of the moths that got out. They're called mealmoths and you often find them in pet food as they're rife amongst petshop suppliers (and then the petshops themselves get infested) and they can be a nightmare to get rid of! They have little larvae which climb into any little gaps they can find or up your walls and then hatch into the moths.
If you take it back for a refund ask to check the new bag before you go home - they shouldn't mind (afterall, if it is infested you'd be bringing it back again anyway and if not you'd open it at home!) but if they do then open it as soon as you get out of the shop. Often if they're in one bag they'll be in the other bags that were on the shelf nearby or in the same delivery

Eeeeeeeewwwwwwwww! I had that with a bag of bird seed I hadn't sealed properly too. :shock: I cannot stand anything remotely maggot looking :mrgreen: so my OH had to get rid of them all.
I'm really careful how I store all that sorta thing now. :D

Ahh, quick! Make sure you keep the food in an airtight tub (or put it in a bag and whack it in the freezer) and squish any of the moths that got out. They're called mealmoths and you often find them in pet food as they're rife amongst petshop suppliers (and then the petshops themselves get infested) and they can be a nightmare to get rid of! They have little larvae which climb into any little gaps they can find or up your walls and then hatch into the moths.
If you take it back for a refund ask to check the new bag before you go home - they shouldn't mind (afterall, if it is infested you'd be bringing it back again anyway and if not you'd open it at home!) but if they do then open it as soon as you get out of the shop. Often if they're in one bag they'll be in the other bags that were on the shelf nearby or in the same delivery

Yuck!!!!!! I hope none excaped without me noticing, I was more worried about Abbey helping me with the sorting of the food, as she usually does, but she didn't eat any. Yuck yuck yuck. The bags downstairs now in my kitchen, will they get out of it and infect my kitchen? yuck yuck yuck!

Supa Rabbit Excel, the food ;)

Erm, I think they can infest human food - they especially like sweet things (was always the fruity small animal foods and honey-coated parrot treats we had the worst problems with at my old job) so things like cereals might be at risk? :?

That's GROSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:shock: :shock:

I use Excel, and I would freak if I opened a bag and found those in there!!!!!:shock:

Oh yes, they can get into everything, cereal, rice, flour, pasta, anything with starch. Once they have infested your kitchen, it's hard to get rid of them. You can buy pheromone traps that lure the moths (probably the males) into a cardboard "tent" and they get stuck there.

You could probably get them from something else but obviously human food is stored in stricter conditions than petshop. Petshops get their stock from mass suppliers who have loads and loads of products in warehouses etc so if one bag gets infested with these then it spreads quite quickly but can go undetected until the bag is sold and opened - by this time a few have escaped at the petshop and infested other stock.

Yuck! Abbey was very brave, she gave me the look of 'what are you up to mum' when I started to squeal at the bag (like it'd help).

Yuck yuck yuck yuck. I'm off to put the bag in the freezer. Yuck.

My petshop wont be getting anymore in till friday now, that was the last bag too! So not only yuck but :( too! I should have enough to last, I was just getting an extra one incase it ran out.

They come in through open windows,too. So it is always best to keep all starchy food (and rabbit food) in airtight containers. They also like chocolate unfortunately.

If you freeze it you should be OK, it kills the bugs and they're not toxic if eaten - buns would probably munch the odd worm and bugs on grass in the wild!

If you freeze it you should be OK, it kills the bugs and they're not toxic if eaten - buns would probably munch the odd worm and bugs on grass in the wild!

Really? Still feed it to them? I dont know if that thought is a bit to scary for me to deal with!

Eep! I would have probably chucked it as I screamed releasing moths everywhere. :shock: :lol: I do hope I never find one. I'm terrified of moths!

Back