• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sunflower Comp. - RESULTS ARE IN!

Bavarian Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
As the weather is not all that great at the moment, I thought I’d start a sunny summer competition instead. I currently have a giant sunflower growing in the garden and I want you to guess its final height.

The money from this competition will help ARC to neuter and vaccinate some of the many new bunnies that arrived at the rescue during the last two months. These include Lady Jane and Theodora and their babies, plus all the Dutch bunnies that were rescued from a garage not too long ago.

I will post photos of last year’s and this year’s sunflower shortly, and your task is to guess how tall this year’s sunflower will be when the flower head is completely open. I will measure the plant from the ground to the highest tip of the flower. I can’t predict how long it will take for the flower to open, but at the moment it is just a small bud of about 2 inches, which means that this competition will run for a couple of weeks.

The prizes are donated by the Hay Experts and me. The winner will be the person who’s guess comes closest to the actual height that I will measure.

1st prize: a 20 Pound gift voucher for the Hay Experts online shop

2nd prize: a colourful bunny wall hanger, kindly donated by Romy:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=97394

3rd to 10th prize: two seed packs of various flowers, so that you can add some colour to your own garden

In order to take part in this competition, please post your guess (the final height in centimetres please) here. Each guess costs 2 Pounds, 3 guesses cost 5 Pounds. For payment, please send a PM to me (Janice is not online for a few days). You can pay vial Paypal or send a cheque.

If there is a tie between two or more players, I will draw the winner between them. The same happens if the sunflower should get damaged by a storm, slugy, squirrels, beavers, parakeets or whatever else finds its way into our garden. Then everyone’s name will go in the hat, and I will draw 10 names from it.

Any questions? Anything I have forgotten to mention? Just let me know. Please help the bunnies at ARC. And good luck with your guesses!

Last edited:
Just to give you an idea how tall giant sunflowers grow, here's a photo of last year's plant, surrounded by various other types of sunflowers (I can't help it, I'm a botanist :lol: ):

sunflowerupdate.jpg

And here is this year's sunflower, in the centre of the photo. I took the photo yesterday. As you can see, it has quite a thick stem already, while the flower bud is still small, so I am hoping for some more height in the next few weeks. The only hint I will give you, is that the trellis behind the sunflowers is 180 cms tall. :D

sunflower2.jpg

Thank you Maizy. You should have waited until you see the sunflower on Friday. :lol: Bit unfair, I agree. :D

You're right, didn't think of it ......blast!:lol: I did think of asking you which variety it was, but again think that's an unfair advantage!:lol: :lol:

I have no idea which variety it is. The original plant came from a little bag of seeds for children, it just said "giant sunflower" on it. :D

Money from Jacquie recieved, I am assuming that this is Maizy. This is when I embarrisingly admit I dont know everyones real name.

Money from Jacquie recieved, I am assuming that this is Maizy. This is when I embarrisingly admit I dont know everyones real name.

Yep that's me! I've used the name Maizy ( or combinations of e'mail, msn etc...) ever since we got Maisey ( in my siggi). Sorry for confusion!:lol: :lol:

Yep that's me! I've used the name Maizy ( or combinations of e'mail, msn etc...) ever since we got Maisey ( in my siggi). Sorry for confusion!:lol: :lol:

Thats ok, a thread ages ago had people write down their user name and why they had chosen it, it was interesting reading.

That was quick, Maizy! Thanks. :D But I guess after Friday you won't have any money left, right? :lol:

The problem is that if you don't buy tons of plants then there will be room in your car, which means I can buy some plants, too. But my garden is full!!! So it's better if you buy lots and I save my money.

That was quick, Maizy! Thanks. :D But I guess after Friday you won't have any money left, right? :lol:

The problem is that if you don't buy tons of plants then there will be room in your car, which means I can buy some plants, too. But my garden is full!!! So it's better if you buy lots and I save my money.

:lol: :lol: Did I mention my car is actually a Tardis?:lol: :lol: ( oh if only)!:lol:

:wave: I'll have a go over the weekend - my hubby loves sunflowers and we always plant them too, so I'll get him on the case :)

Just thought I'd give this a bit of a 'Bump' :D Can I have some competition please? Having seen the sunflower 'in the flesh' today, I'd say there's some real scope to beat me!:D

Hopefully Rosie comes up with a good guess. So far she has been to busy knocking me off 1st place in my other quiz. :rolleyes: :lol:

The next few days will be warmer and with a but more sunshine, so that should all some more height to the plant.

Hopefully Rosie comes up with a good guess. So far she has been to busy knocking me off 1st place in my other quiz. :rolleyes: :lol:

The next few days will be warmer and with a but more sunshine, so that should all some more height to the plant.

:wave: Helloooo

OK, my guesses (with help from my O/H) are 220cm, 237cm and 245cm.

I'll pay by Paypal and will PM Janice.

Back