• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A & P

touie

Wise Old Thumper
has anyone had any rabbits that wouldn't eat it? I've just ordered a sack today because i was running out of their other food and the delivery was going to be over £13 for more which i think is ridiculous :shock:

I'm hoping they're going to like it or I'll be stuck with loads of food! Also do you think it will be ok to switch straight over to it as by the time it arrives I'll hardly have any of the other pellet left? :?

What are your lot on just now touie??? You will need to mix in some of the old with the A&P for a few days as it's a big change from most other feeds. My lot love the stuff though i have never had a problem and i've just changed Sooty, tara and Reuben to it and there fine xx

I've had bunns who don't like it- but they will give in in the end so persevere with it. Audrey still much prefers SS- she has a mixture of both and tends to leave the A+P until last.

they are on bunny basics natural hifi at the moment. It's great apart from the delivery cost!

DON"T switch straight over - you could nd up with a load of rabbits with gut stasis!! You need to mix it in gradually over at least a week if not more.

well thats all very well if I have enough left but I don't think i will :? I'm sure they can't be that nutritionally different can they?

I think I remember Jane saying she'd just swopped her bunns over straight away cos it's got a high fibre content so less likely to upset tums....maybe ask her?

I suppose it depends how many pellets you feed them- if it's loads then it might be more of a problem.

I think I remember Jane saying she'd just swopped her bunns over straight away cos it's got a high fibre content so less likely to upset tums....maybe ask her?

I suppose it depends how many pellets you feed them- if it's loads then it might be more of a problem.

It does have a 23% fibre content and i have had buns in with non of there origonal food and had to put them striaght on it and they were fine. i would always try to mix in the old food though if i have any x

well thats all very well if I have enough left but I don't think i will :? I'm sure they can't be that nutritionally different can they?

Well, maybe you should get some more of their old food so you CAN do it gradually. I would strongly recommend against switching staright over. Some rabbits are much more sensitive to changes than others and you may end up with serious problems - you just won't know until its too late.

If you really don't want to get more of the old feed, with buns that came into my old jobs when we didn't know what their breeders fed them on (as they weren't fussy about who they took rabbits from if they were cute enough :roll: ) we'd keep them on hay for a few days then slowly introduce SS pellets, gradually increasing the amount. Didn't cause any tummy problems this way, but I'd definately not switch straight over (lost a few buns with bloat at a couple of jobs from incompetant staff feeding the wrong food :evil: )

Well, maybe you should get some more of their old food so you CAN do it gradually. I would strongly recommend against switching staright over. Some rabbits are much more sensitive to changes than others and you may end up with serious problems - you just won't know until its too late.

What about rescue centres though? I bet they do it all the time and bunns would also have the added stress of a new environment :?

I agree ideally you'd use the old food mixed in for a while...

What about rescue centres though? I bet they do it all the time and bunns would also have the added stress of a new environment :?

I've read from some rescues that they do what I've said above, stop all dry feed for a while and feed just hay then introduce their own feed

Yes, but they usually don't have any choice. If you PLAN to change over your rabbits food then its always advisable to do it slowly. Isn't this what is always recommended?:?
I agree that if there is no other choice, then start with mainly hay and introduce the new pellets VERY slowly.

With a £13 delivery fee I refuse to buy any more of their old food! :shock: They can have hay and introduce it gradually if need be though I'm sure they'll be fine, what they're on is quite similar in nutritional content it's not like they're on low fibre mix or anything!!! :?

Back