• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Opinions please

HS

Wise Old Thumper
Friends of my o/h have decided they'd like rabbits as pets. He's been very good in sending them all the relevant information, rescue rabbits, the hard work they are etc. (very proud actually !:oops: )
Anyway, they've picked two bunnies from a rescue centre (so far so good) and are getting a hutch from the same place, which is 5' x 2' x 2' (for £100) which was recommended to them by the rescue. They will be getting a run too, but not attached as far as we know. We've sent them quite a few ideas and links for housing and my personal feeling is that this is way too small and far too expensive.
What are your thoughts on this please?

£100 for a 5' hutch isn't bad for real world prices although you can probably get a better deal on the net. It could be the rescue are selling them as a income generator.

I think the Happyhutch 6' hutch & run goes for just above that.

You can pick up a shed for around the £100 mark too if they don't mind a conversion project.

Tam

We got a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch for £100, and seperate run 6ftx4ftx2ft for £80, from the local RSPCA where we used to live, although not attached run both of them are very well made.

Depends if it's flat-packed or ready built I think, also if it's tongue and groove or plywood - Obviously they could get cheaper from a local handyman but even happyhutch, not the cheapest around, do a plywood, flat-pack, hutch over run for £110. I built 2 for Maa and Benny, and there was a fair bit of swearing involved, but I am just a weak girlie :lol:

http://www.happyhutch.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=44&categoryID=6

Oh and yes - 2x5 is waaaay too small for 2 rabbits!

I think 5 x 2 is an ok size hutch, but if the run is seperate and the weather continues like this, there is the danger they will end up being the hutch more more than anticipated :? (and in the winter?)

As Tamsin said, the happy hutch combo usually goes for about £110ish.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Massive-Rabbi...4QQihZ015QQcategoryZ63513QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It seems a shame not to buy a hutch from the rescue if they will make some money, but it's not really ideal to have a seperate run and hutch :?

Thanks everyone. It's really out of our hands, and I guess I'm a little disappointed that this size hutch is seen as ok (by the rescue and RSPCA).

Back