• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Bunny Problems - Fur Pulling

Kellyum

New Kit
We've had our male bunny (Danzig) for just under a year and 3 weeks ago adopted a female friend (Ebony) for him. Danzig has been neutered but she has not (yet) They got on great at first with him being the dominant one, however on friday when I got home from work she had been pulling out his fur and trying to mount him constantly. She is also pulling out her own fur, however the previous owner says she does this every so often but is not pregnant. Ebony is not making a nest in their cage but it's worsened over the weekend and Danzig's back has got 3 baldy spots - he's not really letting us touch him but as far as I can see she's not biting him. I'm going to make an appointment at the vet for Ebony tomorrow to get her spayed but has anyone else had any problems like this or any advice? We don't have a separate cage unfortunately and we have work tomorrow so i'm a bit worried. We've put her back in the cage and he's running around the living room just now.
Thank you so much, Kelly x

If you are absolutely positive she is not pregnant, it sounds as though she's having phantom pregnancies which will be sorted when she's been spayed.

If you are absolutely positive she is not pregnant, it sounds as though she's having phantom pregnancies which will be sorted when she's been spayed.

Thanks for such a quick response! Hopefully our vet can fit her in ASAP to get spayed x

a bit of fur-pulling is entirely normal when bonding - even after so many days... as long as she isn't constantly pestering him or hurting him, I wouldn't worry too much... if she is having a phantom pregnancy, it might explain the sudden change in behaviour... good luck with her spay! :)

Thanks for your reply. When she's not trying to mount him or pulling his fur, they usually cuddle in together like great wee buddies. I just got worried becuase it started so suddenly x

Were you aware that your boy can still get a female pregnant for up to 2 months after he's been neutered? If not then she could be pregnant, in which case babies are due in a week :shock: Could it also be possible that the previous owner lied about this, or is it someone trustworthy? Rabbit gestation is 4 weeks.

Were you aware that your boy can still get a female pregnant for up to 2 months after he's been neutered? If not then she could be pregnant, in which case babies are due in a week :shock: Could it also be possible that the previous owner lied about this, or is it someone trustworthy? Rabbit gestation is 4 weeks.

Danzig was neutered August last year, so he's not the daddy! Ebony was adopted through the rabbit rehome website and has rehomed lots of rabbits through it so I assume she is trustworthy. I've got an appointment at the vet for Ebony this week - watch this space! Thanks for your help x

Quick update - Ebony was at the vet on Wednesday who thinks she is not pregnant but recommended we wait another few weeks before spaying her to make sure! She's booked in for 27th July! Thankfully she's calmed down a bit and Danzig's fur is growing back :D

I had this problem a few weeks back with my neutered buck and spayed doe, she kept mounting him and he had bald patches but it's settling down now. I've put this down to two things, firstly springfever which has passed and secondly she was recently spayed so her hormones wouldn't have calmed down. Hopefully once yours is spayed you'll have no more probs

Yes my group of girls do this too - And it's best not to spay them while they are in this state as their womb is more fragile and swollen.

Back