• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are there different kinds of Lionheads?

k.mdaniels

Alpha Buck
I got my two little Lionheads from Pets At Home. We were told they were Lionhead but on variuos website I 've read people saying they have a dwarf lionhead or a lop lionhead. Can anyone tell me what mine are judging by my signature photos?
Also I know someone who also got a rabbit from pets at home and they were told dont give them Veg until they are 6 months old, that seems a bit drastic! Mine are 3 months old and we've started giving them little bits of carrot and cabbage, only tasters though!

You can get crossbred lionheads and there's a good chance a petshop would have crossbred buns in - a lionhead lop would just be a lionhead crossed with a lop breed (most likely a mini lop as they're similar sized) and a dwarf lionhead is probably a nethie or dwarf lop crossed with a lionhead. People will make up any sort of name if it sounds cute :lol: :roll:

I'm not sure what breed my Lionhead Joey is, when he was born I was expecting him to be like his mother - a lop, and he came out a lionhead with up-ears!

The original lionhead (at least according to the norwegian standard) is a rabbit with ears pointing upwards.
Yet in pet stores they sell mixbreeds which looks like netherland dwarf or lops with lion mane:roll: These aren't showable, at least not in Norway, something I find a bit funny cause the holland/mini lop (we only have one small lop breed so I don't know quite what to call them) and the netherland dwarf are all showable in rex and long fur but not lionmane. Even though there's waaaay more lionheaded lops than rex lops (I've yet to see a rex-coated lop who actually looks like a lop:roll: )

There are two types of coat, a standard lionhead (fairly short coat with a mane around the neck) and a double mane (which has a long coat all over). The lionhead is a relatively new breed so in some countries it's not a recognised breed. The lionhead lop is a known breed in that breeders deliberately breed them (it's a lionhead with lop ears) but I'm not sure that they've been standardized by the BRC yet.

The only rex lop I know of if the velveteen lop which is a english lop with a rex coat (the english lop is the one with really long ears).

Lionhead/rex cross

I have a lionhead cross with a rex, he is stunning. black with brown "eyeliner" to his eyes and around the edge of his ears, he has a lovely mane as well

Back