• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best hay to get?

Dustbunny

Warren Scout
Would it make more sense for me to cut some grass with shears, then lay them out to dry inside by a window (ie my garage) than to buy it from stores? It wouldn't make sense if it was my only source (i'd have to mix some with store-bought), but has anyone tried this before? does it make sense, or is it too much hassle?

Definitely too much hassle :) Making hay is an art so I'm told - too much sun and it goes yellow like straw - too little and it goes mouldy - so I leave it to the experts, and even they will have a job making it in this weather :rolleyes:

Not a good Idea, you can cut grass in small amounts and give to buns while still green.

There are lots of things to take into account when making hay and to be honest you would not have the right conditions to do that at home.

The amount that you would need to cut and dry would be huge. e.g. our buns go through a 17kg bale every week. so as you can see it just does not make sense. Let the pros do it and buy it from them that way worst case you can always sue the farmer or supplier if it all goes wrong.

I prefer buying hay from farms (aka: my school) instead of pet stores.
Much cheaper and better:D
If there is a farm nearby perhaps you should ask if they have some for you?

Back