• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit flicking her ears?

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
My wild bunny occasionally flicks both her ears. Is this normal rabbit behaviour as none of my previous rabbits did this. (not that I've noticed) or is it something to worry about?

She is 11 weeks old.

i have noticed this with my bun of the same age gizmo does this out of excitement then he bucks and jumps around, i thought maybe it was mites as i was new to buns but vet checked him last week and he is perfectly healthy, hope this helps:D

check his ears or get the vet the vet to do so if your still concerned:wave:

Mine flick occasionally, sometimes when they are annoyed (my lot are always annoyed).

It can also be a sign that they have mites, so you may just want to have a check in there. As long as there are no scabs or redness, she's fine.

Yea mine also do it when they are annoyed. If its constant though I'd check his ears for mites. ;)

I'm pretty sure rabbits do this for a few reasons... It depends on context. My bunny tends to shake his ears either because yep, he's excited or happy. It's usually followed by a happy mad dash around, or a skip into the air. Which is a binky, and an expression of joy. :)

He'll also do this if he has been having a snuggle, and when I move away he sits up and shakes his ears as if he is waking himself up. I've also read that if a rabbit tastes or smells something he/she dislikes, they can shake their ears to show their displeasure.

Aaand of course there's the ear mite thing. :oops: I lately went a bit obsessed when my rabbit shook his ears twice in a row. I practically pounced on him and insisted on peering down into his ears for any sign of soreness or scabbing. He looked at me like I'd gone insane.

hiya
thanks for the replies, I have checked her ears previously whilst she was snuggling on my lap as I am a bit paranoid about her after losing her three brothers but both ears looked ok. Will double check tomorrow (shes settled down for the night now :) ) to make sure alls ok.

Bobby does this occasionally and normal hits Pippa round the face with them :roll:

If the bun is using its back feet to itch inside its ears alot... in addition to the head/ear flicking it may be ear mites. :) Both my boy buns have had this, but when treated, cleared up very fast.

mine does it right before he binkys... or if he's excited... he shakes his ears, and it goes down his whole body and he really perks up...

yours might be mites, though... you should probably check it out?!

had a look this morning and her ears looked ok, I think perhaps she is just over excited she has constant binkies!!! but will double check again tonight with a torch I think.

Bertie flicks when he's excited, new box to chew or new treat, something like that. He does also have completely random flicks for no reason, just shaking the grey matter!

ok think shes just excited had another peer in her ears and they look fine. she also did the lifting of the front feet at the same time which was mentioned in that article.

thanks for all the help though

Mine do it when they are excited but Bambi and Little Man both used to get really angry with me so they would do it alos in anger towards me :lol:

Back