• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bales or bag

Nik-Nak

Warren Scout
Hi

We used to live in Hertfordshire, where we used to buy bales of hay from a local farm, however since moving to Worcestershire a couple of people said its best to buy hay in bags which we have been doing, think its kimberly hay?

The reason they suggested bags rather then bales, is because at certain times of the year there is a risk the hay can contain mites and ticks?

Has anyone heard of this before?

Thanks

Mandy

well as far as I know, bagged hay is just bale hay put into a bag by someone. Unless they check every strand for bugs the bugs will still be in the bag if they were originally in the bale. My hay supplier freeze dried all his hay when they had a problem, as that's the only way to kill them, but it makes for more expensive hay as it's an expensive process.

well as far as I know, bagged hay is just bale hay put into a bag by someone. Unless they check every strand for bugs the bugs will still be in the bag if they were originally in the bale. My hay supplier freeze dried all his hay when they had a problem, as that's the only way to kill them, but it makes for more expensive hay as it's an expensive process.

:lol: Thats what I thought. I just get bags of hay because it doesnt make so much mess in my car :lol:

:lol: Thats what I thought. I just get bags of hay because it doesnt make so much mess in my car :lol:

I use a cover which was designed to protect a garden table when it rains, it covers a bale easily for transportation and makes moveing it easier and no hay gets in the car.

Back