• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My girl Sunrise

bunniesbarnbabe

Warren Scout
Sunrise is quite an old girl and over the weekend she has had a lot of wet poo stuck to her bottom. I have cleaned her in the morning to avoid flystrike and I am going to ring vets first thing in the morning. She is eating and drinking fine, she does not eat much hay and I have not been giving her much vegetables or grass just in case this makes it worse, any ideas? could it be wet tail and if so is it medical attention she needs or can i do somethng for her

I think you should get her Rearguarded at the vets firstly, just to make sure she doesn't get maggots, then you can sort out what's caused this problem. Could it be that she's too fat or maybe a bit old and stiff, so she can't reach around to eat her poops? Is she an indoor or outdoor rabbit?

If you decide to change her dry food I would recommend science selective, available online, as it contains a probiotic and lots of fibre, which if she doesn't eat hay is a good thing for her digestion.

If you change her food though, do it very slowly over about a fortnight, with just a bit of the new food mixed in with the old at first, gradually increasing the amount of new food, otherwise they can go off their food or get an upset stomach.

An average size rabbit just needs a handful of science selective morning and evening, rather than a full bowl all day - this is often the cause of too many poops too.

Hi,

Hay should make up 80-90% of the rabbits diet, so she should be eating plenty of it. As the others have said a pellet/nugget is better and only small complimentary amounts, along with veggies.

Hope all is well, good luck :)

Sunrise

Thanks for your help, she is an old girl and a bit stiff so it makes sense what you have said, i will definately change her diet, gradually of course. i will take her to the vets tomorrow though, just to be on the safe side

Back