• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice for bun with malocclusion

Jocelyn

Mama Doe
Hiya,

One of the buns I am fostering has got maloccluded incisors [as far as I can tell his molars are fine - he isn't underweight despite his front teeth so he must be eating *something*]. I was worried about both of them not eating this morning so I tried tempting them with radish leaves - one wolfed it down and started munching some hay, but the other just flung it about and I noticed the teeth.

There's no sign of infection or them digging in but they are curling around and obviously not very nice for the bun! I called the emergency vet but after much discussion they said it would be ok to leave it until tomorrow.

I've soaked some excel in boiling water to make it mushy in the hope it'll get him to eat a bit and not become malnourished - is this ok to do or is there a better option? I've not dealt with dental bunnies before so if you've got any tips then please shoot away. Aside from his nerves he is definitely fine - he's the bolder out of the two :)

He does need a vet to see to his front teeth..but unitl then..chop his green veg up into very tiny pieces... grate some carrot, etc..he should eat fine like this ..unless he also has back teeth probs which can happen alongside incisor deformities..
let us know how he gets on.

He does need a vet to see to his front teeth..but unitl then..chop his green veg up into very tiny pieces... grate some carrot, etc..he should eat fine like this ..unless he also has back teeth probs which can happen alongside incisor deformities..
let us know how he gets on.

Cool, thank you :)

Of course he will be seeing the vet as soon as poss! :0

I'm not sure if he's had veg before, but I guess if I give him a few little bits of something than it's better than nothing?

If you're not sure if he's used to veg just give him small amounts as it might upset his tummy. Do let us know how he gets on at the vets.

Squishy managed to eat plenty of SS pellets despite having severely mallocluded teeth! He'd even managed a fair bit of hay, bless him.

Is he on the same dried food he came into the rescue on? I know you are trying softened excel, but if no luck I would keep him on the same food he came in on (if you know) as you don't want him to stop eating before you get him to the vets about his teeth. Well done for fostering them and for trying to help these poor buns.

Is he on the same dried food he came into the rescue on? I know you are trying softened excel, but if no luck I would keep him on the same food he came in on (if you know) as you don't want him to stop eating before you get him to the vets about his teeth. Well done for fostering them and for trying to help these poor buns.

He was being fed excel at the rescue so that's what he's got :) I've been watching him and he's eaten some of it and somehow manages to eat hay through the side of his mouth! Still can't wait to get him to the vet + get them sorted so he can have a proper feast :)

Poor bun!:(
Maybe you could make a puree with his pellets and feed him with a syringe?
I've asked my vet to give me some of the soft plastic pipe they use to give fluids, I cut a small length of it and adapted it on a syringe, so that I can feed my buns without hurting their mouth when there's a problem with eating.;)
Here's my DIY;) :

Last edited:
Poor bunny has obviously been struggling with eating for a while. Thankfully he ended up being given to Bunnyrun and yourself. Hope the other bunnies are okay.

We are booked into the vet for tomorrow morning and the vet will sort his incisors out under sedation so I imagine the poor little poppet will be very pleased tomorrow when he discovers he can eat properly and clean himself again! :rolleyes:

Back