• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

please help

kimd6200

Banned
hi all,went into the rabbits this morning n sad news.honey has killed two of her babies.she was throwing the other babie around the nest so ive taken it out.i know hand rearing is impossible but i want to ask least try.so how often does it need feeding?what can i feed it on?puppy formula or goats milk?i know it might die but didnt want leave it in there to be eaten alive.poor baby.any advice would be gratefully appreciated.
kim.xxxx

I'll probably get shot down here but.... I wouldn't even try.

The fact that these babies are from a brother sister mating there could be something wrong with them, and thats why Honey has chucked them out. I did warn you this could happen on your other topic and told you to leave them as mother nature knows best. Put the baby back in the hutch and let nature take its course. If you want to give Honey a banana (no skin) it should stop her eating the baby.

oh right.i dont like seeing things die.shes gone realy nasty towards me.when i went to her this morning she dived at my leg scratching at it n growling at me.whys she gone like this?she was sooo friendly.:cry: xxx

oh right.i dont like seeing things die.shes gone realy nasty towards me.when i went to her this morning she dived at my leg scratching at it n growling at me.whys she gone like this?she was sooo friendly.:cry: xxx

I vote for hormones - just like people, bunnies hormones must go rather mental after giving birth!

I think you need to give the poor bun some space. She's just given birth, if like WE said she is aware of a defect in her babies she may need time to grieve them. If I was you I'd let her sort herself out and once she's over the birth and loss think about getting her spayed so she doesn't have to go through this again.

Kim please do not take this as a personal attack but I am truely concerned about all your recent Rabbit deaths, particularly after kindling.
I am sure you are doing all you can to care for the Rabbits you have but from what you tell us on here there is obviously something very wrong.
As much as I have tried to stay out of these threads I feel I need to offer some FRIENDLY advice here. PLEASE get your Rabbits neutered ASAP to avoid anymore 'accidental' matings and subsequent tragedies. I am dealing with the fall out from a situation where breeding has gotten out of hand and although I am NOT implying that your situation is the same I emplore you to take on board the advice given by many on here about getting your Rabbits neutered.

Again I emphasise that this is NOT a personal attack on you and the fact that you bother to post on RU shows you must want to seek advice as to how to best care for your pets. PLEASE take that advice and we will all be here to support you as you go through the understandable anxieties we ALL have about a Bun having surgery.

Janex

Have you been interfering with the nest? If so she probably now sees you as a 'predator' and is trying to protect her nest from you.

Honey could have killed the other babies and be rejecting this one as her nest was disturbed and the babies handled..she was new to you and so she should have been left to look after her kits in peace and quiet . Does can get stressed easily when they have new babies:(

Hoping Honey gets over this soon and you can get all your rabbits neutered and settled.

Back