• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hand-Rearing Newborn Kits- A Word of Warning

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
If any of you find yourself in the position of having to hand-rear newborn Kits be prepared for the excruciating heartache that comes if the kits dont make it :cry: :cry:
I have loved and lost many, many Buns but NOTHING could have prepared me for the grief I feel now after loosing all the Boleteenies, especially Cal :cry: :cry:

Picture857-1.jpg

The bond formed with a little life that you feed milk to and toilet is indescribable. The little life that, despite being blind and deaf, responds to your touch and kisses your hand after beeing fed............
I have NEVER EVER felt like this after losing a Bun and I am not certain I could go through it again :cry: :cry:

This thread is NOT to get sympathy but to warn anyone else embarking on hand-rearing exactly what you are letting yourself in for emotionally

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Janex

Jane I totally understand, although I've never hand reared bunnies, I have done kittens, and youre right, the bond you form is remarkable. To this small defenseless creature you ARE their mother and thats a very special feeling, you cant help but love them. Hugs to you. xx

I too understand how heartbreaking it must have been even though you did go into the situation with the knowledge that chances are it wouldn't work and the kits would die. I do think more research needs to be done to find better handrearing methods if the majority die. Although looking at the condition of the mother the kits probably weren't in the ideal health to stand much of a chance sadly :(

I know Jane - I understood why you took them away from Bobbie, as you loved Bobbie and didn't feel anything for unborn kits, but I knew you would get attached to the babies once you started feeding them, and feel dreadful when they inevitably died :( I even wrote in my diary that you would be heartbroken in a couple of weeks, even though it was best for Bobbie.

Sadly you can't turn back the clock so I hope Bobbie and her original litter are doing well, since it was all for their sakes. Very difficult situation for you to be put in and no fault of yours that poor Bobbie was abused so badly - it's such a shame you've had to go through this when you work so hard for your bunnies - it was a bit of a no-win situation as Bobbie would maybe have died had you left them with her. You tried - that's the best anyone can do.

I know Jane - I understood why you took them away from Bobbie, as you loved Bobbie and didn't feel anything for unborn kits, but I knew you would get attached to the babies once you started feeding them, and feel dreadful when they inevitably died :( I even wrote in my diary that you would be heartbroken in a couple of weeks, even though it was best for Bobbie.

Sadly you can't turn back the clock so I hope Bobbie and her original litter are doing well, since it was all for their sakes. Very difficult situation for you to be put in and no fault of yours that poor Bobbie was abused so badly - it's such a shame you've had to go through this when you work so hard for your bunnies - it was a bit of a no-win situation as Bobbie would maybe have died had you left them with her. You tried - that's the best anyone can do.

Well said Elve, but for Snowy and Jane and Janice these rabbits would still be with the breeder and have most likely died or been sold on to god knows what so Jane you need to focus on Bobbie and her Boblets and know you did the right thing by them as heartbreaking as it is

Thanks for your replies. I am trying to focus on the Buns still here but I really feel so sad...............:cry: :cry:

Janex

Hello

You gave me some advice when I was handrearing the four wild babies. I lost 2 at three weeks old, 1 at six weeks old and thankfully still have spudsy at 11 weeks old. I felt like my heart was breaking everytime I lost one, the bond you feel when feeding them is so special and I felt helpless everytime one died. But I did what I could and thats all you can do.

And I would do it again despite the heartbreak.

(((( Hugest hugz )))) Jane!
No one expects you not to feel totally devastated - they are completley vunerable little babies - who rely on you for everything.! You did your absolute best Jane and there's nothing you could have done to change the situation.
Hopefully one day there will be a way for it to work - but until then all you can do is give them the best chance that you know how and just hope.

You have been their mummy and I too have hand reared kittens so kinda get what you mean. The bond is like a mother and child in my opinion. I lost my kitten at 4 months old to a careless driver and the grief is horrendous

It's so hard... I can totally understand how it's impossible not to get attached. And I guess, what on earth was the alternative? ie if this were to happen again, or everyone involved could go back in time, what could be done? :? :(

I really hope things start to look up soon. x

i had to try and rear some baby buns once. They seemed to be doing so well then they just went, one after the other. One of them even died when i was trying to feed it. I knew it was going to be hard and everyone kept on telling me not to get upsett if they died, but i still did when they went.

You would not be human if you did not get attatched and give a huge chunk of your heart to every animal you were destined to help. It is so, so hard and an emotionally draining thing to do and achieve. I have handraised so many animals, rabbits, birds, dogs, cats and even a ferret and every one has their special place in my mind and heart, those who make it, those who dont. It doesnt get easier, but its something you can not stop. I would rather these poor babies in the world for however short a time, have been loved and cared for unconditionally and tears cried then live to endure no love and compassion in this sometimes cruel world. You did a great job Jane and I admire your passion and dedication.

hand rearing truly i the hardest thing in the world. While I have not had to handrear bunnies I have had three orphaned squirrels who had fallen from a nest. One had such severe head trauma and th vets refused to help him as 'squirrels are vermin'......I had to personally OD him on painkillers :cry: and then watched his brother and sister slowly go down hill. I was heart broken and still think about them often especially cradling them in a make shift sling in their last moments.

I can empathise with you so much Jane and I truly hope I never find myself in such a position again.

hand raising

ive been on both sides of the coin here, first time i lost a litter of four , from a rex doe who was given to me by a lady who was giving up rabbit keeping, she gave birth next day and died, i tried everywhere to get advice. but had to go it alone. as each sweet baby died i cried buckets. when the last died called mouse i vowed never again. but a year later it happened again. i raised four with advice from other bun people. but i was warned it could bring heartache. even our local rescue told me to put them down. i lost three at three months which broke my heart. i kept one lush hunk of sable rex. and id do it again if need be. but i know how totally and utterly you fall for these babies

Back