• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Crue GI Stasis *U/D WE HAVE POOP!!!

rabbitabby

Alpha Buck
Well I've been watching over last night and this morning and I have not seen any poos. I think his GI tract is slowing down or something, so we are going to the emergency animal clinic. I found one very small cluster of cecotrophs (sp?) last night and they were very slick, and i have not seen any pellet poos over the evening/morning.

Keep Crue bun in your thoughts.. I haven't had a GI problem with any of my animals yet, and I was worried his neuter would cause problems.. :cry:

Last edited:
awww hope he's going to be OK - when they have a collar on you must feed the caecal poops to them by hand so I've heard - yukky :? Has he been drinking much and eating normally with it on?

He has been eating. Not as much as usual, but I have noticed consumption and lots of water drinking at the very least. I'm not sure what else to do besides get some motility drugs to kick start his gi tract.. this is very scary for me, I'm all upset and in a tizzy and work and can't get off til 3.. anthony is bringing him here and we are rushing as soon as we can. :cry:

aww best of luck - hopefully it just needs a kickstart after his op unsettled things - main thing is he's eating and drinking, so it should sort itself out with a bit of help from the drugs :)

Does anyone have any runny thoughts on the caecotrophs being runny?

Also, what are names of meds that help move along the GI tract? (in case I don't have exactly bun knowledgable vets at the emergency clinic so I can say, I need this this and this.)

this article mentions the american name for the meds - it's metaclopromide in the UK. http://www.mybunny.org/info/gi_stasis.htm

runny caecal poops - I would guess if he's not eating his poops because of the collar, his gut bacteria will be out of balance. Also, did the vet give him any antibiotics that could have upset his stomach?

Anthony just got home and is loading Crue up into the carrier.. and discovered vet wet, runny poo (Diarrhea). Any thoughts on this? There is also a new cluster of caecotroph according to him, but I am willing to bet it is the same one that was in the hutch this morning.. :roll:

Could it just be a wee mixed with the caecal poop?

Diarrea (can never spell it) is bad with rabbits - if this is what it is he will need to stay over at the vets and have antibiotics and fluids - You might get more advice if you post this now on the rabbit care threads with the medical problems.

Found an article on poop and diarrea - having read it I think it will be the fact he's been unable to eat his poops with a head collar on, so the bacteria have got unbalanced in his gut. I think he will be OK with some nursing, and feeding him those poops he needs to balance his gut flora.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html

Last edited:
Hopefully Anthony was exaggerating on the phone when he said diarrhea, but I specifically asked him if it was runny and if it was the cluster-type poo or not, and he just said a runny mess, not the cluster stuff.. :?

I'll take a gander as soon as he gets here (he's bringing the two different stools he found) and have an update in a couple of hours i hope :(

How is Cruebun?

Sometimes after operations buns can messy poop for a while too as a side effect of the Pain Meds and Antibios. Sending lots of pain free healing vibes to Cruebun xxxx

*Its been a long night, sorry for taking forever to update*

The emergency vet's office was a lengthy visit. We were greeted as soon as we showed up, and given paperwork to fill out for prelims and whanot, but when I went to go hand in the clipboard, everyone was in the emergency operating room :shock:

No one came back out for another hour or so (poor dog, i don't know what was going on but something..) and we finally got put into an exam room and a tech asked us the usual stuff one would ask (poor gal didn't know a thing about buns though) It made me nervous, as I had been warned when I walked in that they did not primarily see exotics, and that they would render whatever services they could until I could get to my normal vet on Monday.

We waited another 45 minutes and finally the vet came in. He was very knowledgable!!! As soon as he mentioned GI tract *first few words out of his mouth* and wanted to palpate his tummy, I breathed a huge sigh of relief.

The result? He said that, from what he could tell, Crue's gut felt normal. He couldn't feel any bloat, blockage, anything. He suggested that since Crue's appetite had been down the previous day, I was seeing the lack of poo's from the lack of eating. He has had a couple more runny poos, but nothing serious.

ALSO! He ate a huge thing of hay today.. :D So at least I know he is eating. We are going to try some fresh pineapple to see if the enzymes help break anything down, if there is any. I have Oxbow critical care on hand in case I needed to hand feed, but his appetite today has been fairly hearty.

keep your paws and fingers crossed for poos!!! :?

Oh, I am SO happy to hear your news!:D :D I am very relieved that you found a knowledgeable vet, and that nothing seems to be seriously amiss! EXCELLENT sign that he is eating now.......will keep all of my fingers firmly crossed for him!!!!!:D

Sending LOADS of good vibes for Crue and you!!!!!:D

That sounds good :) If his collar's off he can start eating his caecal poops again, which will balance his gut - or you can feed them to him (I feel faint just thinking about that :oops: ) Hope he's well soon!

Back