• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need average livespan of the following breed

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
What is the average livespan of the following breed?

1) Chinchilla Giant

2) Dutch

3) Rex & Domestic cross

4) American cross

5) Holland Lop cross

For those who owned any of the above, please let me know how long your bunny lives

Hiya here's just a few bits of info:

Dutch: Average life span - 5-8 years Maximum reported life span - 15 years :shock:

Rex - Average life span - 8 years

Holland lop - Average life span - 10 years

There wasn't anything on crosses but I hope this info is of some use :D Esther x

Dutch only live such a short time? I thought they live longer than that? 8 years seems short for a little rabbit.

Does anyone knows a web site that tells the breakdown on the species?

Or any books that has a table of their average lifespan?

I'm bumping this. Surely w/ 4000+ members, there must be some members who owns the above and can tell what's their av. lifespan

I don't think anyone knows average lifespans really - particulary not on the crosses! I think 8 years is a fair assumption on any breed.

I don't think you can do a statistics about this so easily. Breeder bunnies may have shorter lives than pet bunnies, but normally there shouldn't be too much of a difference. They are all rabbits. Some breeds are more prone to health problems, so may therefore have a shorter average life. I think this is true for giants, because they are quite heavy and get heart problems etc.. But I am not sure if anyone has looked at this in a research kind of way.
Plus I haven't heard of a chinchilla giant or an american cross before.

I'm sure french lops and giants have a much reduced life span compared to normal size bunns- about 5-6 years is average I believe for a giant.

Wow, I bet they look lovely with that chinchilla fur. Don't think they normally come up in rescues, though. I have never seen one before.

I thought, the 'general' rule was the larger the rabbit the lower the life span ie. dutches, dwarfs and mini's tend to live longer than Frenchies and Continentals etc.

I thought, the 'general' rule was the larger the rabbit the lower the life span ie. dutches, dwarfs and mini's tend to live longer than Frenchies and Continentals etc.

exactly. So we have that other thread under "Worldest oldest bunny", and we were saying they lives like 16 yr.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=91578

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=91435

So I thought rabbits like dutch should live at least 12+ years, as dutch are tiny. And yet, you guys said only 8 years.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone knows average lifespans really - particulary not on the crosses! I think 8 years is a fair assumption on any breed.

I agree, at the end of the day it varies from how they are kept, diet prevous ailments/health probs etc, its definitly fair to say betweenb 5-8 years.

x

I think the average life span for a normal sized rabbit is 7-10. Less for the larger breeds. They may live longer but then they've gone above average.

Back