• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

statis problems

elaine

Mama Doe
At the mometn I am having problems again with statis it seems to be adults that come in and are fine for a few days and then they start going off their food and generally go down hill. So far I have only lost 1 but have managed to get 4 over this.

The vet has now suggested trying to with hold pellets when they come in and purely feed grass (readigrass) and hay for a few days and then gradually increase the pellets.

They all have pro biotics in their water and have carrots and the poorly ones have had their back teeth checked and they are fine.

The vet has assured me there is nothing wrong in what i am doing and it isn't a illness but we are just totally baffled

Any ideas would be appreciated

Elaine

I'm having a similar problem with my two at the moment. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be glad to hear them (they're on a small amount of pellets, plenty of veg, probiotics, unlimited hay and plenty of exercise)!

Hi there. This sounds a nightmare for you.

Carrot definitely gives one of my bunnies terrible gas, also has horrendous problems from cabbage (particularly savoy thought I don't feed any of that now, including greens). Banana also hurts his little tummy terribly.

It sounds a bit odd though that a lot of them have been doing this. Is there a possibility of an infection going around, just because since one of my bunnies was treated for EC, things seem to have improved for all of them. Its hard to be specific as I have also gradually changed their pellets back to what they used to eat when they kept better (which is a rubbish mix but they go mental for it) and I feed a little more of it too. I suppose I have also cut out so many of the gassy vegetables for the three of them so it could be that. Its just not an exact science, I was determined only to change one thing at a time so I would know what was working, but desparation kicked in.

Yes, I'm wondering if it is related to EC. My two haven't been treated/tested for it but I'm going to try Lapizole in the next month, to see if it will have any effect.

I'm also wondering whether to change their pellets or go back to a mix they prefer. I'd rather they were eating pretty healthy stuff then not touching the really healthy and being poorly all the time.

This seems to be becoming more and more common. My 2 have terrible problems with going into stasis at the drop of a hat and it is EC-related.

I wonder if it could be connected to the warm wet weather we're having :?:

All my bread and fruit, etc, is going off really quickly at the moment, so I wonder if the same could be happening to rabbit food?

Mould just loves hay and dried grass, and I bet pellets would go the same way if they got a bit damp.

Some moulds are very poisonous, especially to small animals like rabbits.

I could be way off, but it must be a possibility.

Amy

Hi,

Try ensuring that they bulk up on hay in the morning and don't feed them pellets/nuggets till around 11am and then only a small amount, as you can give them a small amount again later on in the day. When stasis is an issue, a slightly hungy bunny is better than not.

I wonder if it could be connected to the warm wet weather we're having :?:

All my bread and fruit, etc, is going off really quickly at the moment, so I wonder if the same could be happening to rabbit food?

Mould just loves hay and dried grass, and I bet pellets would go the same way if they got a bit damp.

Some moulds are very poisonous, especially to small animals like rabbits.

I could be way off, but it must be a possibility.

Amy

This is the conclusion we've come to on the Breeding forums, that food is going off in their awful weather and causing the problems.

When ever I get new buns in I feed hay for the first couple of days then gradually introduce pellets.:wave:

Mine eat tonnes of good quality dust free hay (the Lunnen stuff) and very few pellets. They're on burgess excel, I wonder if Supreme Science might be better because it has more fibre.

Back