• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Back foot thumping??

Sox

Warren Scout
What does it mean when they thump their back feet?
are they scared or trying to tell you anything else?

Thanks
Claire

I think it can be fright but my lot tend to do it when they're cross about something (usually me picking them up for a bum check).

It can be several things, best to always check their body language when they do it.

If they stomp really loudly and suddenly look very tense/scared, running and hiding - then yes they are very scared.

If you've done botty checks etc - its just "I'm annoyed with you"

And if your bun is anything like my two girls they can do very light stomps when they don't get their own way!! Its just like "hurrumph" :lol:

Poppy thumps when I give Gus too much attention, or if I dare walk past and not fuss her...or, it would seem, if she is bored in the night and wants attention at 3 o'clock :shock:

sugar thumps with her ears much more alert if shes worried about a noise that might be a threat her body is also upwards ready for fight or flight in a way, its a signal that wild buns use to make them run for safety. she also does it if shes not getting enough attention.

Poppy thumps when I give Gus too much attention, or if I dare walk past and not fuss her...or, it would seem, if she is bored in the night and wants attention at 3 o'clock :shock:

sounds familiar
:lol:

in our house we have the "mummy you are evil for confiscating that large bag of spring greens i've just ripped open" thump, the "stop fussing over bracken when i want attention thump", the "its 4am and i want feeding" thump

we also have the "why have you locked me in my room, just so frida gets some exercise thump" off our lola and the very loud, repeated "yes you have let me upstairs and just because you've locked all the other bunnies away so i cant attack them, i still know they are there and im going to poo all over their territories and annoy them thump" which zeb does on about every step as he hurtles up from the kitchen :lol:

gus also snorts and thumps whenever i have removed him from the hay box. i havent really heard much scared thumping although you can usually tell. frida will thump if startled and she usually has bigger eyes and half upright ears (shes a lop) as well as looking like she will bolt

Thanks guys,
The reason i asked is because, since we have had Sox we let both Milly (dog) and Sox run around the garden for a bit together for a mad half hour, but when we put Sox out there today with Milly, everytime Milly went near her she thumped, it was quite loud to and on concrete :? Which she has never done before, normally she runs and hides from milly and then jumps out at milly when she is near to where she is hiding then they run round together again, pretty much like they are playing hid and seek with each other.

But after doing a few thumps today while milly was out with her we put mily in the house so Sox could be out on her own for a bit, wonder why this was then??

Claire

I dont understand it though, we have had her for a week and a half (not long i know) and since we have had her she has run around daily with the dog and never done this before, we know milly hasnt snapped at her or hurt her as we only let them around together when we are there to watch them, milly isnt that big either, she only a tiny shih tzu....

Should i keep them apart or is Sox having an off day? :?

I haven't had dogs and buns together but my insticts would say keep them apart? The best play pals for bunnies are other bunnies :D

Maybe doggie barked or something. I know my buns get scared of things they have been fine with before, sometimes there isn't a reason.

no not even a bark from milly, i was sat in the yard with them both.
Is it worth trying again tomorrow to see what happens or should it just stay as a no go? :cry:

Hard to say but personally I wouldn't...but then I have a bit of an underlying fear of dogs :lol:

Maybe there are other people here who have both that can advise you better

I'm not sure. My bunnies thump their feet when I arrive with the veg. They are definitely telling me to hurry up

Fiona x

Mine do it when they don't want to be picked up/caught. Also when they are somewhere new. Not sure if it is fear or annoyance! :lol:

Warning Possibly Upsetting

I don't think there is a right or wrong, some people are comfortable with a rabbit and a dog, some are not. I know of one person on here who trusts one dog with their rabbits but not the other. Also a volunteer at our local RSPCA told us about their dog and rabbit playing, the dog got a bit boisterous and playfully picked the rabbit up. For fear of upsetting people I will leave you to guess the rest :( .

Neil

Last edited:
oh dear :cry:

As i said they are NEVER left to play unattended, although i know it only takes a second, milly plays with my mums parrot, so i do trush her thats not really the issue i just dont want Sox feeling unsettled in her own home, Milly's only 1 so still a baby herself, her and Sox sit in millys bad of a night time so milly can give Sox a clean and lick behind the ears, Sox always cuddles into milly in her bed (will find the pics on photobucket) :?

Claire

I think it can be fright but my lot tend to do it when they're cross about something (usually me picking them up for a bum check).

Ditto, only my female bunnies though :? :?!

She does sound as though she is scared of the dog. Although some dogs get on with bunnies, and that can be great, i dont think it is a good idea in general. Others may disagree though.

Last edited:
oh dear :cry:

As i said they are NEVER left to play unattended, although i know it only takes a second, milly plays with my mums parrot, so i do trush her thats not really the issue i just dont want Sox feeling unsettled in her own home, Milly's only 1 so still a baby herself, her and Sox sit in millys bad of a night time so milly can give Sox a clean and lick behind the ears, Sox always cuddles into milly in her bed (will find the pics on photobucket) :?

Claire

Having said what I said we are talking about a large dog in that other situation. Yours sound very close, maybe the thumping was part of playing.

Neil

All of my dogs past and present (5) have been brilliant with my rabbits.
They don't play with each other, but tend to ignore each other for most of the time.
Hera and BB both love Frankie (cavalier) and go to him for kisses, and when the buns are free in the garden the dogs stay with them to patrol for cats.
I think I've just been very lucky with my dogs (and the two I currently have are almost smaller than the rabbits!) and they've never shown any behaviour that has given me a seconds concern - if I had I'd never leave them alone.
I think you need to have a gentle intro of your dog/rabbit, and the best behaviour to look for from the dog is one of disinterest, and don't ever leave them alone unless you feel 110% that things are OK.
2007_0211Image0011.jpg

2007_0127Image0014.jpg

Bigbunny.jpg

Back