• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First moult

Jocelyn

Mama Doe
Shadow's nearly 7 months old now. His first moult started a few weeks ago.. I've been brushing him [he's a rex and his moulting hair seems difficult to actually get off of him so after using a slicker I dampen my hands to get the rest of the fuzz off!] but this moult seems to be going on forever! I mean, how long is 'normal' for a first moult, or is this just normal hair loss - I mean it's not an excessive amount but I've noticed a couple of his poops with small lumps of hair in and it worries me [obviously it's coming out now but what if it gets blocked up?!]

o_O

awwwwwww Bella and Benji have been moulting for what seems like weeks, still no end to it though, I had to take them both to the vets yesterday, and the poor vet was covered, haha I told him never mind he shouldnt charge to much:lol: :lol: :lol:

This is Berties first big moult, he's a rex and we're into the 4th week now!
I'm grooming him with the flea brush every day and getting handfulls out.
There's just his backside left now, and the new coat is gorgeous!

If you're worried about hair, pineapple or unadulterated p/apple juice is meant to break down hair in the gut.

do your bunnies live out side or indoors? ours are out side and jack seems to of been moulting all the time for the 2 years that with had him.

I think with the changeable weather, the poor buns are getting confused! Salt had an epic moult about a month ago, now it's pepper's turn (both outside buns). Squidgy had a moult this year like I've never seen before, and he's still moulting a little.
Just keep grooming him, and he should be ok. During moulting 'season' I give mine paineapple and papaya tablets, as this is said to break down the hair in the gut.

Back