• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dentals and the necessity of emergency vet treatment

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
Audrey has her molars checked every 2 months now, and filed. But I live in fear that she's going to suddenly get ill at the weekend again.

What I was wondering is, if theoretically she stopped eating again on a Sunday- is it actually necessary to rush her off to the vets if I am resonably sure it is probably a tooth spur?

Please don't think I'm horrible for asking this...but there is a reason. When this happened before and I took her to the emergency vets it did turn out to be her teeth, but they didn't do them then and there and she had to wait to go to my regular vets the next day.

So basically, she was just given treatment to get her through until trip to normal vets and i felt the whole trip was really pointless- especially cos the locum was completely clueless when it came to rabbits (where I live there is an emergency surgery for the whole area which has nothing to do with my normal vet.) And as she had only just stopped eating it's not as though she had developed GI stasis and needed the gut stimulant.

But then maybe she'd need painkiller :?

Again please don't think badly of me, this is just a wondering :)

She's getting her teeth checked this Monday.

do you think the vet would allow you to keep a painkiller at home to give her if she needed it overnight?

Hmmm good idea thanks, I'll ask on Monday.
I'll ask the vet all this too and see what she thinks.

When I took Barley to the vets with an eye abscess it was about 11pm. The vet did give her an anti-biotic jab & some painkiller, but all treatment took place the next day, after a £70 emergency vet fee. I'm glad I took her though, cos it was a " new" disease for me & I wouldn't have felt happy waiting for the vet

At home, I have baytril & metacam - I've been shown how to inject it before, so if it was sommat i knew was wrong with them, I might well do that to get them through til vet opening time (if it was a matter of hours). But I'd just check with your vet to make sure you are happy doing that. I've rung mine out of hours before (2am - Flint still hasn't eaten!!!) & they rang me back cos I had no credit:oops: :lol:

When I took Barley to the vets with an eye abscess it was about 11pm. The vet did give her an anti-biotic jab & some painkiller, but all treatment took place the next day, after a £70 emergency vet fee. I'm glad I took her though, cos it was a " new" disease for me & I wouldn't have felt happy waiting for the vet

At home, I have baytril & metacam - I've been shown how to inject it before, so if it was sommat i knew was wrong with them, I might well do that to get them through til vet opening time (if it was a matter of hours). But I'd just check with your vet to make sure you are happy doing that. I've rung mine out of hours before (2am - Flint still hasn't eaten!!!) & they rang me back cos I had no credit:oops: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't think I'd mind giving an injection, but can't you give metacam orally anyway?

I think if their temperature is below normal and they are starting to go into shock medicine always has to be injected because it cannot be absorbed. If their temp is normal then the pills at home are ok. Thanks,this reminds me I have to get the vet to show me how to do injections :thumb:
Good luck with Audreys vet visit Monday :)

Hi,

I have a bottle of metacam that I give orally in such cases. I do think that injections can be more effective but in most cases it works.

I think of it just like having paracetamol for humans.

we have metacam at home as well brandy just had her molars done.
if i remember right the vets had a sign up with the price of drugs and metacam was about £10 i think. dont know how much you get

Well I keep supplies of everything at home, including Metaclopramide, Metacam, Vetergesic and Prepulsid. I have to be honest in saying that I treat them at home if they go off food at the weekend and if I am confident that there is nothing else 'out of the ordinary'.

My vet is happy with this too. This has saved me a small fortune and lots of unnecessary trips to the emergency vet service 12 miles away, where they have administered these same drugs that I could have given at home, much less stressful for the buns.

I would definitely use the vet if anything felt out of the ordinary and 'non-routine' but not for the things that I am well used to now, bunnies too.

Metacam and Baytril are staples in our house to, especially at the moment with having a few snuffley buns about.

Tammy stopped eating due to a tiny molar spur (so small they werent even sure it was the cause but could find nothing else) she was of to Chloes that night so she had a jab of Metacam and Metachlopromide to see her over until her spey whn she could be burred at the same time and she started to eat soon after.

I think the jab is also longer lasting than the oral suspension but dont quote me :oops:

Thank you everyone, I will talk to the vet about this on Monday, it would be great if they were happy for me to keep metacam etc at home as it really would remove some of the worry.

Last edited:
I always take Evo straight in. I do have some metoclopramide at home, but would be too scared to self diagnose myself. I'm lucky that my vets are usually pretty good at fitting you in quickly, and are open for an hour on Sunday morning too.

I always take Evo straight in. I do have some metoclopramide at home, but would be too scared to self diagnose myself. I'm lucky that my vets are usually pretty good at fitting you in quickly, and are open for an hour on Sunday morning too.

Unfortunately the emergency vet where I am are not very good...and so expensive- was about £115 last time and that was only Sunday morning so not the most expensive time of day either :?

Unfortunately the emergency vet where I am are not very good...and so expensive- was about £115 last time and that was only Sunday morning so not the most expensive time of day either :?

My vet's Sunday morning is like normally surgery, except you are seen in the order you arrive rather than by appointment. Emergency fees are pretty much the same as yours the rest of the time though.

Back