• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

dillion is off colour/please help!!!U/d he's losing all his fur!!!

willowflower27

Mama Doe
ok went to check on dillion this morning and he's not eaten all of his food (has eaten some but not the usual amount) and he seems really lehargic i have noticed he keeps shaking his head quite a bit ear mites? he is moulting really badly at the minute i keep brushing him every day and it still keeps falling out! i am giving him pineapple juice to try and prevent hairballs but i'm wondering if that might be the problem
any ideas he's still drinking weeing and pooping and i suppose it's possible he's having an off day but it's just not like him

Last edited:
Unless you're giving him fresh pineapple juice it won't be any use - I use bromelain tablets from holland and barrett as it's the same enzyme only more convenient.

If he's lethargic then get him running around - put him as far from his hutch as you can and make him run back to it for instance - this might get his guts moving. Are you sure he's passed much poo in the last few hours? It's hard to tell unless they've just been cleaned out.

it could be ear mites if he is shaking his head alot.. or he could have something in his ear i guess. Is he pooping ok? If you are concerned it might be worth getting him checked out at the vets just to be on the safe side. My lot usually decide to become unwell fri night or over a weekend when its harder to see a vet.. so you might be better sorting it today rather than leaving him til tomorrow;) Hope its nothing serious and he gets back to his normal self real soon

i cleaned him out this morning so i could check he's passing poo and he's done quite a bit in the last few hours about his normal amount i would say
i have a juicer so was juicing the pineapple a whole one and sharing it with ava and putting what i didn't need in the freezer that ok?
does holland and barrett have an online store? dont think there is one near me will check though.
yep think vet might be in order just to put my mind at ease he won't leave his hutch so with much persuasion have him in the house so he can run around and he is moving but not at his normal speed he's got an awful can't be bothered attitude about him today.
phoned the vet and they can't see him until 5pm obviously if he gets worse before them i've to take him in straight away
i'm worried sick

oh god i took dillion along to vet a 5 o'clock wasn't the normal vet as he's away for summer holiday but anyway vet said yeah he's fine take him home
had him home less than an hour and all his fur around his back end is falling out!!! vet gave him a skin scraping so said it wasn't mite that dillion was just moulting really badly and that was why he's off colour i'm so worried i called the vet back said he hadn't improved and he said there was no reason for him to be seen as an emergency this is the only local vet who does an emergency surgery what will i do???
please help
sorry if i've rambled but i'm so worried have him in the house beside me so i can keep an eye any idea what will have caused such sudden hair loss?

I would go with your vet on this - I have some rabbts here that go really moody and low when they're moulting, and if his fur is falling out that severely sounds like hes having a horrendous moult. Leave him too it and keep a close eye, obviously if he stops pooing get him back to the vet, but if hes just a bit quiet I wouldn't panic too much.

Don't know what the weathers like where you are but down here its been really changeable which doesn't help their moods either.

thank you i'm probably just panicking it's just it's coming out in handfuls it's leavig healthy skin underneath and there are little tufts of fur growing back in it's just i'm still fairly new to having buns and i didn't realize they could lose fur so badly during a moult.

it's awful he's still eating and pooing but just seems miserable.
vet suggested i try and help remove some of the fur with one of those mitt things thing is whilst i'm doing this he's grinding his teeth vet says this is a sign of relief but i thought it was a sign of pain? :?

Yeah they can moult that badly, seen it many times. Like you i always thought touth grinding was a sign of pain but others say its a sign of pleasure??

Keep grooming him with a comb, or wet your hands and run it up and down his coat - your hands will come off covered in fur, its a really good tip for removing loose fur if they're moulting lightly.

thanks for the tip i'll try anything to give him a bit of relief he keeps trying to groom himself but it's like he thinks i'm not getting anywhere so i won't bother i hate seeing him so miserable

ok here he is (not all that clear as he wouldn't sit still)

photoalbum015-1.jpg

this is the other side

photoalbum016.jpg

and this is a complete butt shot

photoalbum017.jpg

Not very easy to see from the photos but it does sound like a very heavy moult. Simba has done that once to me before.. he had a bald bum but his skin was healthy and fur soon grew back. If he had mites you would see white flakes and possibly red patches so if his skin is ok and he is eating/drinking and pooing ok then i guess that is just moulting. Hope he stops worrying you soon!!;)

he's much brighter this morning and all his night time veggies were gone when i got up his skin is healthy looking and he has new growth of fur coming in it's just well i didn't know they could moult this badly and i panicked because all his fur fell out
he seems happy enough and there isn't any flaky bits

Back