• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is short term fostering ever needed or useful?

I'm just putting out feelers at the moment and to ask what you guys think?

As some of you may know I've moved back in with my parents recently (after years of living on my own). The thing is I've 2 spare hutches (a 5ft double hutch and a 6ft hutch with run - the Happy Hutch kind on ebay!) - I didn't put them into storage with by other stuff! With a little re-organisation in the garden (wouldn't be allowed in the house) they would fit in no problems.

I don't feel I'm in the postion to adopt more rabbits at the moment as I'm not sure how long I'll be living at home and where I'll be living afterwards.

However I do know that I'll be living in there until at least January of this year - hence the idea of short term fostering (well that's about 6 months).

I was wondering in general if this would be useful? Of course it may be that there isn't a local rescue that needs any foster homes.

Thank you for your time in reading

Hannah

I've had buns for as little as a week. I think it is handy to Rescues - if they know a bun is going out & you can keep another for them until it does, that's one more bun out of a dangerous situation:D

Also, you might get cute lickle baby buns:D I have 3 babies here, that are staying until old enough to be neutered, so the rescue can concentrate on ones that can be got ready to be rehomed immediately.

Be warned though. I kept Rosie, my first foster:oops: It does get easier, but sometimes one comes along that tugs on your heart strings.

The benefit is a lot of the time, the Rescue will pick up the vets bills:D

it depends on your local rescue, but yeah rescues often need fosterers, I'm sure they'd be grateful for the offer. :)

Also, there's that big rescue in the North West going on and they're asking for fostererers anywhere in the country- look in RIN...

Well thanks for the advice. I will ask at the vets (it's not a special visit, rabbits are having their myxi jab) this evening - depending on which vet I see, as they do some work for our local rescue, (which is RSPCA but like so many branches do not get funding from HQ). According to their website the lady who runs it is the same lady who did my homecheck for Dolly. I will take it from there. Mum has said "yes" but concerned that she will get attached to them and not want to hand them back! :D

Greenfields rescue are looking for short term fosterers.

Thank you, I have seen their appeal, wasn't sure it I was too far away (about 45 mins), or whether they still needed people. I will contact them second after my local one (there don't seem to be many rescues local to me?).

Well thanks for the advice. I will ask at the vets (it's not a special visit, rabbits are having their myxi jab) this evening - depending on which vet I see, as they do some work for our local rescue, (which is RSPCA but like so many branches do not get funding from HQ). According to their website the lady who runs it is the same lady who did my homecheck for Dolly. I will take it from there. Mum has said "yes" but concerned that she will get attached to them and not want to hand them back! :D

Yeah it is hard I must admit- I kept Audrey :oops: :lol: But I've let all the others go. I used to foster cats too. I'd cry for ages, it's really sad when they leave :cry:

Im a failed fosterer too but I have the lovely Jack so I dont care being labelled failed :oops: :lol: I love fostering and wish I had done it sooner :D Tree is great to foster for and I love helping all the different buns. I do get emotional when they go to their new homes :cry: but its all worth it :D When Carys came to get Bobby, Hettie was going to her new home too and Tree was dropping Jack off for me to foster, the garden was filled with emotional girlies crying ! :oops: :lol:

Tell me about it, I am a failed fosterer too, not rabbits (would if I had the hutches/cages for them) but puppies. I foster for a dog rescue and our new doggie was a 6week old foster back in March. She is now a much loved member of our family and we now have a 10 week old foster in :D

Yes I shed tears, only natural, but when I get piccies and e-mails updating me on their new families boy is it worth it :D

Back