• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Kovu ill again

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
He was rushed in last night, he'd stopped eating and poo-ing again :cry: :cry: :cry: . I'm going tohave to cut out all the things he loves, just in case it is that.Although the vet seems to think there is something wrong with him :cry: :cry: .I went to my own vets this time, they've told me Ihave to decide what vet I want to use as he's now at three :oops: , but the thing is they stayed open for me, where as Iwouldn't of made the rab savvy one in time.

He's had some poo's and something to eat this morning. He's back at the vets tomorrow, that's if he doesn't need to0 go in between now and then.

Crikey Tree :shock: :( :shock:

Sorry I have not had time to post on your Bloat Thread in Care. But what I have witnessed with Rexes is that they are prone to more gut problems. As I said last night, it MIGHT be that the Rex gene also effects the health and developement of the GI tract :? I have no scientific proof but my theory comes from what I have seen during my 9 years keeping Rexes.
I find they are even less able to tolerate a high carbohydrate or protien intake.
So my Rexes seldom, if ever get carrots. They NEVER get fruit or Veg from the cabbage family. I also avoid Readigrass (high protein)
I also give them water in a bowl as I have found a good fluid intake assists GI function and they drink A LOT more from a bowl.

I wonder if Kovu has some gastric ulceration :? Maybe your Vet (whichever one you decide to use ;) :lol: ) might want to prescribe an anti-ulcer medication like Zantac (Ranitidine) or Tagamet (Cimetidine)

I do hope Kovu shows good signs of improvement soon. One of my Rexes, Lizzie, was at deaths door with GI Stasis the night before last so I know how worrying and upsetting it is :cry:

Janex

Thank you so much Jane, I am starting to think more and more along the ulcer line, I will ask at the other vets tomorrow :oops: :lol: . I am going to change his diet completely, which I am quite sad about, as I was proud of myself for feeding all the buns on a mainly hay, grass and veg diet, so it's going to have to change :( , his friends will lose out too, but it will be worth it if it ends these problems.

Would intolerence to food just start like that?

Oh no Tree. Hope Kovu gets better again.:cry:

Interested to read your thread re protein/carbs for rexes Jane. Chocolate will be gutted about the carrots though. (What would be from the cabbage family??)

Hope Lizzie is doing better too.

Oh Tree, I am SO sorry to hear that poor Kovu is ill again.:cry: :cry: :cry:

I am sending loads and LOADS of good vibes his way, and my buns all send bunny huggles too.:cry: :cry:

aww poor Kovu:cry: I really hope you ( and your 3 vets ) can find out what's making him poorly and he gets better again soon. sending lots of get well vibes to Kovu xxxx

Please dont take my theory re Rexy Tums as Gospel. As I say, I have no scientific proof and thus far have found no documented evidence to support my theory. The few Rex breeders I have asked dismiss the theory but I guess they would :?

I avoid veg like cabbage/broccolli/kale with all my Buns as I can risk an outbreak of gassy buns :shock:
I am pretty certain that it was the carrot that upset Lizzie so she will never have carrot again.

If I get time later I'll have a look in my Rabbit Internal Medicine Vets Book and see if there is anything in there that fits with Kovu's symptoms.

I am beginning to feel I need more than 24 hours in a day!! :shock:

Janex

Thank you so much everyone :cry:

It's deffo worth lookinginto Jane, I've nothing to lose and everything to gain. I'll take him off veg asap :(

Thank you so much everyone :cry:

It's deffo worth lookinginto Jane, I've nothing to lose and everything to gain. I'll take him off veg asap :(

Just dont tell him it was me who suggested it :oops: :oops:
He wont want anything to do with me if he finds out :cry:

Janex

Aww sorry Tree :( Just put a post on your other thread in Care - I think Jane's probably right about it being genetic too - very good point. Hope he's OK soon!

Back