• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Smudge not his usual self

nixxy83

Young Bun
Woken up this morning and Smudge is not his usual self. He is very silent, and is straining to go to the toilet but only very small tiny pellets are appearing. He has not eaten any of his food from tea time last night, and this is most unlike him.

What is it and what should I do?

Nikki

If he's refused food since last night , has produced no droppings and is quieter than usual these are signs of a bunny in pain and you should take him to the vet asap.

have just been to see him again and he wants to come out of his hutch so let him out and he just sits on my lap, think he does need to go to the vets so will give them a ring now and see what they can do

Sounds like he has GI Stasis. He needs gut motility drugs and, most importantly, pain killers.

Keep him warm and see if you can tempt him with his favourite foods, while you ring the vet.

My Inky had GI Stasis earlier this week, luckily we caught it early and he is almost back to his usual bonkers self.

Lots of healing vibes

Thanks for all your advice just rung the vets and they cant get him in until 5.30pm? what do I do , i explained the situation and they said to make sure he is ok and come in then?

So unsure what to do

Ring another vet. You really can't wait that long. Meanwhile, as FC said try to tempt him with his favourite treats..even stuff that you would normally restrict.

If you can make him run about a bit, that might get his guts moving. Try putting him far away from his cage so that he has to run back there - that works with Benny when he gets like this.

If you have a syringe (no needle of course) you could force feed him water, but it's important not to choke him - You need to kneel down and back him up between your legs, wrapped in a towel, and pop the syringe in sideways, just behind his front teeth, squeezing slowly.

It sounds like he has a mass of dried poo in his gut, so water will help soften it although not immediately. If your vet thinks it can wait till tonight he may not be an expert on rabbits and may not even stock gut stimulants. Can you ring and ask the vet nurse? It's called Metaclopromide.

You could also try gently rubbing his tummy while he's laid on his back in your lap.

I'd ring round and see if you can get him in earlier. With GI Stasis the quicker it is treated, the more chance there is of a full recovery.

Hope he gets better soon. Have you tried Infacol? If it's a case of bloat, it will help, you can get it in most supermarkets or chemists.

Update.....

Just had Smudge at the vets, they have said his stomach is very gassy and he is very light for his age and what he should be :(

He has had an injection of Gut stimulant, pain killer, and antibiotics, so is now completley spaced out.

Have to keep an eye on him and try to feed him food in a syringe. If no better in morning then its back again.

Hope Smudge is feeling better.
It can take a while to sort out, so don't despair if he doesn't respond straight away. It took Bobby 3 days to sort out (he had a blockage) with 3 trips to the vet, and liquid parafin eventually to sort him out. I wondered if he were ever going to recover but he did and is back to his sleepy self!

Smudge is fine today, running round the house following my boyfriend. He is also binking alot and eating lots of hay and going to the toilet, the vet is really happy with him :)

He has got to go back again on Monday for a check up

Oh thank goodness for that! :D You must have caught it quickly as sometimes it can take several days for a stasis bun to recover. Yay for Smudge and his binkies! :D

AMETHYST

Definatley think we managed to get Smudge to vets early on, he is being a right little terror today. Just full of the joys of spring (summer - if it didnt rain). He is up and down the stairs and hiding on the bean bag and loving his nose rubs, and trying to eat everything, even playing with his toys which he has not bothered with since we got him.

If anyone ever has a problem with rabbit not eating then I would take to vets as it is lovely to see Smudge all healthy and running around again.

Back