• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

pet rabbit in my garden

Celox

New Kit
Along with a considerable wild rabbit infestation, theres now a (probably) pedigree rabbit that has moved in as well

its been here about a month now, its half the size of the wild ones, brown with a white ring from its shoulders to its neck and a white patch on the front of its head

is there anything i should do or should i just leave it to it? (i'm fairly sure it was originally domesticated but its wild now)

It sounds like a dutch cross. A rescue/humane society maybe able to help you catch it and arrange to rehome it. Most pets act fairly wild when they are loose and in unknown territory.

Are you in the UK or the states? If you're in the UK the other possibility is it could be a wild/pet cross but the wild rabbits in the US are a different species and can't cross breed with domestic rabbits.

Tamsin

the thing is, i'm wondering if re-capturing it now would be cruel, as its prettymuch wild now, from what i can tell its doing fine with the wild ones

it was domesticated at some point because it sticks to a small area of the garden (under a bench covered with an overgrown bush)

but the coat is too perfect for it to be a cross breed i think (it looks expensive)

heres a video i caught of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpiq3us3e_E

Back