• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

limping bunny

neeshkabeesh

Warren Scout
My Polish Rosie (6 yrs) has a limp, she lives in a double decker hutch with run so she may have hurt it with the ladders. When shes in the run she was limping on her front left leg so I put her down in our house in the hallway and she acted normal (clever rabbit) so I put her back in the run and she was limping again. So now she is in single level hutch on her own to rest. She is putting weight on it, but not complete weight she walks with a limp (!!), but if it was broken would she be holding it up all the time and not putting weight on it?

She is still eating and drinking and going to the toilet, still moving around and her eyes are still wide and her ears are still up, so she doesn't seem to be in constant pain, however- the limp!

I only went to get them vaccinated yesterday (already paid for, so free) and today she decides to have the limp! :roll: :lol:

Last edited:
Yes it was VHD! Its not permanent is it? I knew there could be side-effects but I didn't know limping could be one of them!

ETA:
Do I need to inform my vet formally that she had a reaction to the injection?

Last edited:
Hi. It's not permanent. The limp isn't listed as a side effect, but so many people on here began reporting this sort of reaction after their buns had the vaccine that Jane contacted the manufacturers about it and there's no an on-going study into this side effect. (I can't remember the link but I think it was jack'sjane who was in contact with the manufacturers and anyone whose rabbit displayed these symptoms after the VHD was asked to let them know.) Contact jack'sjane and she might point you in the right direction.:)
PS..I'm sure it was Jane, but if not, I'm sure there'll be someone along soon to give you the correct link.

Last edited:
Yes, Jane was collating some information from the forum to send to the manufacturers, not sure if she still is now though.

I'd give your vets a call anyway to let them know this has happened - many don't know about the side effect, but it does happen. The limp should disappear in the next 24 hours by itself though.

Twas me :wave:
Neesh has been in touch and I'll forward Rosie's details to the Vet dealing with the 'Post VHD Vac Limp' issue

Janex :)

Thanks all :) Rosie is better now. I told my vets about it, I don't know how many rabbits they get in but the receptionist had never heard of them getting a limp so she will pass it on to the vets.

Back